College: Don’t cry.

Reflections from a Marymount Juinor

Stop stressing about college! Listen to Izzy. (Photo courtesy of gargoyle.flagler.edu)

Izzy Tagliati '15, Staff Writer

Hi Ladies,

Now I know from the day we enter kindergarten, throughout our entire first and secondary education, we are vying for a “prize”, a pot of gold at the end of a tiring and long rainbow: College. Where you get in, whether it be a small liberal arts school, a large university, or an all-women’s college… or not, people have this idea that the college you get into is the epitome of who you are as a person and the measure of your abilities, talent, and intelligence. To some extent, this is true. If you get straight A’s and a 2400 on your SAT, you are probably more likely to be swayed towards more exclusive schools. For some these straight A’s and 2400 might be a reality, and kudos to them — I hope they love where they go and mature into even more sensational human beings (as all Marymount girls are already amazing). However, for some a perfect SAT score and eight AP tests aren’t exactly in their future. Being a junior, entering the college process, I always have so many questions, worries and doubts that culminate in feelings of anger, frustration, which just turn into anxiety and a lot of tears. Nevertheless, fear not! For juniors, sophomores, and even freshmen who are starting to think about the laborious college process, it WILL all be okay. I asked our two college counselors on some tips other than the generic “get good grades and good ACT/SAT scores”.

Here are some suggestions from Mr. Petrone and Mr.Graham:

1. Pursue your interests. There is no one activity or involvement that guarantees college admission.  Colleges like to see that you are doing what you enjoy and excel at.

2. The key to this process is to find colleges that compliment you, the student, where you will be wanted, respected and add to the campus community.  This involves being yourself, honestly evaluating what you like and want in a college.

3. Lastly, college admission success is all a function of the list of schools you apply to.  Failure in this process comes when that list is unrealistic or intended to simply impress others or feed an ego.

More or less ladies, be yourself. Find a college that you want to go to, not one that you’ve heard is amazing, not one your friends say is great, not one that has the most alluring reputation; do the research. Also — and I know that many of us are tired of hearing this (myself being one) — try your best to get good grades. If you can’t, put your best foot forward and strive for improvement. Better yourself, not because people say it’s crucial. Do it because you deserve the best out of your education. And lastly, in my opinion the most valuable piece of advice I can give is that the school that you go to doesn’t define who you are. Just because the schools you are applying to don’t have a five percent acceptance rate (or maybe they do) doesn’t mean you can’t strive and grow in that environment. You decide what you make of your education, wherever you may go.  YOU are the one who is in control of your future.

Take a deep breath and wipe your tears. We are all going to college and we are all more than capable of greatness. Be yourself, work hard, and you will end up at the school where you are supposed to be.