A Spirited Affair

Courtesy of Marymount High School

Courtesy of Marymount High School

Ashley Chase '18, Staff Writer

Every year at Marymount, there is a special week in February: Spirit Week, during which four hundred girls arrive to school in bright colors with energetic attitudes. This year, each class had four chances to show off their spirit by coordinating their class color with a specific theme. On Tuesday, the girls passionately sang, and even danced, to their selected tunes in front of the rest of the student body. In this case, the seniors won first place with their thoughtful and fun presentation of “Summer Nights” from Grease. Wednesday brought both Disney Day and another win from the seniors, who dressed up as piglet from Winnie the Pooh. After their streak, many believed the seniors would win again; however, the sophomores stepped up to the plate on Thursday to win first place in their flower crowns and hippie outfits for Decades Day.

This was all in good fun, but these themed days were only a precursor to the events on Friday that every Marymount student know and love: Class Color and Competition Day. Spirit Day, as it is called by the majority of the students, was a loud and passionate event that students had been looking forward to for a long time. The classes spent hours practicing their dances in the gym and in any classroom they could find. Every student was decked out in anything and everything that they possessed in their class color. With the room a sea of blue, purple, red, and pink, the shouts contributed to a volume that was astonishing.

In between competitions that added up for “spirit points,” each class showed off their coordinated dance moves. By this point, the junior class felt like the underdogs, largely because of their lack of any wins from earlier in the week; however, their dance was very well prepared. Their choreographer, Hareena J., who is more commonly referred to as their “class hero,” along with many other amazing choreographers, pumped up the class by calling everyone to dance their hearts out. The result was an electrifying performance that ended with Moses parting the Red Sea.

The juniors were feeling pretty confident; however, the seniors provided some healthy competition. The room hushed when the lights went out, and the seniors crafted a dance that included glow sticks and lights; there was a nostalgic feel to their performance, as an audio recording reminded the crowds of their overall win from last year’s Spirit Week.

The votes were cast and the results were declared. The seniors had won Spirit Week with their impressive record and abundant spirit, this being a “back-to-back” victory from last year. The juniors finally had their long-awaited opportunity to jump up and chant “back-to-back-to-back” excitedly after hearing that they won Best Dance for three years in a row. The Sophomores won the Sportsmanship Award, as they were witnessed encouraging the other classes during competitions, and the Freshmen earned the Environmental Award because they cleaned up all of their trash quickly. Clearly, Spirit Week was an incredible experience for all involved, and the excitement of the week continues to linger in the spirit of Marymount girls throughout the remainder of the school year.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “A Spirited Affair”

1. Brandon Ellison on March 13th, 2017 12:51 pm

Great article Ashley! Very well written.

[Reply]

2. Lainie Chase on March 14th, 2017 9:11 pm

Great read! Vibrant well written descriptions, it makes the reader feel as if they were part of the experience!

[Reply]

• A Spirited Affair

Marymount News

Kingdom Fair

• A Spirited Affair

Features

Letter from the Editor-in-Chief: Bittersweet Endings

• A Spirited Affair

Arts & Entertainment

A Peek into AP Studio Art Portfolios

• A Spirited Affair

Opinion

We the Women: Women’s March

• A Spirited Affair

Marymount News

MM-MUN Prepares for Annual Marymount Conference

• A Spirited Affair

Features

March’s Instagrams of the Month

• A Spirited Affair

Showcase

College Decision Advice from Teachers

• A Spirited Affair

Arts & Entertainment

Wonderful Town Comes to Marymount

• A Spirited Affair

Opinion

There’s an “I” in “Internalized Misogyny”

• A Spirited Affair

Marymount News

Mother-Daughter Luncheon: A Farewell to the Seniors

A Spirited Affair