Do Re Mi Fun- High C’s

Irene Lee '18, Staff Writer

“I really enjoy doing what I love – singing- with a group of girls that share the same passion and determination.” – Norani Abilo ’16

It all began when Jessie Zelaya, Kaitlin Moore, Erin Orcutt, and Dr. Koh decided to create an a cappella group. The girls’ passion for music, singing, and performing led them to believe that it would be a fantastic idea to build on to Marymount’s music program within CAP (Conservatory Arts Program). Their hard work paid off and resulted in the first and only a cappella group at Marymount, The High C’s. Many music-loving students showed their interest by auditioning, and now, the High C’s is composed of 16 very talented girls. Although just recently formed, it has already had broad effects on the students by exposing them to a new way of singing and encouraging joy through music.

When asked about the reason as to why she joined the High C’s, Jessie Zelaya ’15 responded, “I’ve always enjoyed creating choral music, so creating music with 15 other students and no instruments is both a challenge and a joy for me. I love the fact that we can combine our unique voices to create an elaborate sound and have fun while doing so!”

Despite the pleasures that come with singing in an a capella group, many members agreed that there are challenges to it as well. Kaitlin Moore ’15 confessed, “The practice times fill up both my Monday and Friday lunches” and Norani Abilo ’16 stated that “being able to create three and four part harmonies” was difficult and that participating in the a cappella group was not always easy. Regardless, the girls that the benefits of the program greatly outweigh these difficulties and that students could get a lot out of this program. Kaitlin Moore joyfully said, “The High C’s has helped me technically with pitch and has strengthened my listening ear. Likewise, it has helped me see the amazing possibilities we have as Marymount girls and how we can put our passions into actions.”

The High C’s is a great new musical program that all students should learn more about. It provides a wonderful opportunity for all students interested in music to advance their musical skills and to fulfill their passion for the musical arts.