Keep Calm and Build A Robot

Christina Fazio '18, Staff Writer

The Robotics Club has started off this year with a bang! Many new students have joined the club. Robotics teams in high schools all across the nation join the FIRST Robotics organization. Each year, FIRST Robotics creates a mission for school robotics teams to accomplish in regional tournaments and competitions. Marymount’s robotics club learns the fundamentals of engineering through mechanical, electrical, and programming training, prior to build season, the six-week period in which the robot is designed, built, and programmed. Like other clubs at Marymount, members of Marymount’s robotics team, “Nautae” or “Team 974,” work tirelessly with passion and dedication while having fun.

Last school year, Nautae went to the Aerial Assist competition in Long Beach. The mission: an alliance of three team robots must launch balls (two feet in diameter) into goals as many times as possible within the time limit. Maximum points were awarded to alliances whose teams passed the balls to one another before scoring a goal.

Aware of the challenging missions assigned by FIRST Robotics, students look forward to the upcoming build season. “I really like robotics because I love making things,” said Sloane Leipzig ‘17.  However, team members are not limited to building robots. As Kat LoScalzo ’16 described, “Through robotics you learn the importance of effective collaboration with team members, especially because of time pressures. You not only grow as a team, but you also grow individually. You become inspired, passionate, and innovative – three important qualities you take with you to your future.” While robotics challenges the mind, it also unites students curious about the mechanics in the technology around them. Join the team today to experience the “hardest fun” you’ll ever encounter!