Are you ever too old to trick-or-treat?

Chloe Hassenfratz '16, Staff Writer

October 31st is around the corner, and we’re all asking ourselves: can I get away with knocking on a stranger’s door to get some candy? We all see the cute pumpkin patch Instagram posts and are focused on deciding whether we want our costume to be adorable like a bunny, scary like a clown, or clever like anything shown on Buzzfeed articles. But after figuring out the outfit, we have to decide if we want to go trick-or-treating. Is it still socially acceptable at this age? How old is too old for going out on Halloween night to get free, delicious treats?

Some might say it’s time to say good-bye to this beloved pastime when you hit middle school, others might say it’s the start of high school. We see darling little elementary school children running around with their families. Sometimes we find a group of older kids­—maybe 8th or 9th grade—hanging out and walking around; rarely do we ever discover a crowd of college students receiving candy. Don’t we all just assume they have better and cooler parties to be at? But then, with those elementary school kids are their parents. Does that mean it’s “acceptable” for adults to go trick-or-treating? No one ever criticizes them for going up to random houses and eating candy.

If we can accept adults and small children going trick-or-treating, wouldn’t it make sense to allow all ages in between to as well?

So, is there really an age limit to trick-or treating? The answer: never.