Cross Country Recap

Cecilia Hartge '17, Staff Writer

(Photo Courtesy of Ally Walsh ’17)

So far, the Cross Country team has had a very successful season! In their first League meet, Varsity came out strong, defeating Marlborough, Louisville, and Immaculate Heart. At the Bell-Jeff Invitational, the frosh/soph team earned 4th place and the JV team came in 12th.

I interviewed Coach Lasan to get some first-hand insight into how the team is doing.

How does the team look this year, in general?

The team is young, with 9 freshmen and 12 returning runners. It makes for a very competitive team. So far, with this first League meet past us, we are looking great.

What do you think the runners can improve?

Each runner can improve their time by fixing their form and keeping shorter strides.

There are people saying that if the team wins this League meet on Tuesday, October 13th, they have a chance at being champions or co-champions. Do you agree with this?

If we win that meet, we have an opportunity to win a banner for League. If we win the League finals, we are definitely the sole champions, and that is what we are aiming for. We don’t want to be co-champions.

With the end of the season approaching quickly, do you think that Varsity has a chance to go on to CIF and perhaps even State?

We should definitely qualify to CIF, and hopefully after that move on to state. The top twelve go to state, and right now we are just on the margin of that top twelve. But with every race we are getting faster, so I am confident that we can do it.

Any last comments?

I would like to congratulate all the runners on the team for all the marvelous work they have been doing. I know that they will keep it up for the rest of the season! Go Sailors!

Good luck to the Cross Country team on the rest of their season!