Cabaret Night

Courtesy+of+Marymount+High+School+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Cabaret Night

Courtesy of Marymount High School

Courtesy of Marymount High School

Courtesy of Marymount High School

Courtesy of Marymount High School

Charlotte Gemperle '18, Arts & Entertainment Section Editor

“What good is sitting alone in your room?

Come hear the music play

Life is a cabaret, old chum

Come to the cabaret”

Ebb, Fred. “Cabaret,” Cabaret, Columbia Records, 1966, www.genius.com/John-kander-cabaret-lyrics.

Those who attended Marymount’s annual “Cabaret Night” (formerly known as “Jazz Café) can verify that this year’s show was a smashing success! This year, the Performing Arts Department tried to differentiate Cabaret Night from the more formal Winter Concert and Spring Arts festivals, with the majority of the show consisting of solo performances instead of group numbers from Choir, Dance, and Orchestra. Additionally, this year’s Cabaret Night pushed the performers to take initiative by choosing their own songs and scheduling their own rehearsal time. Though Ms. Carson, Dr. Billington, and Mr. Conley were there to guide the students in their respective disciplines, the majority of the show really was student-organized; therefore, the success of Cabaret Night is a true testament to the hard work and talent of the Marymount performing arts community. Great job girls!

Featuring performances from all music styles and genres, some highlights include Isabel Lund’s (‘18) heart-wrenching rendition of “Bring Him Home” from the musical Les Miserables, Betsy Brady’s (‘19) beautiful playing of the song “Reverie” on the flute, and Claire Marsden’s (‘18) energized song cover of “My Church” by Maren Morris, which had the whole audience clapping along. Many other students received standing ovations for their performances, with their fellow friends and performers cheering the loudest. The camaraderie in Cantwell Hall that night was indescribable – both from our Sailor Sisters in the audience to our parents, teachers, and fellow performers.  

In addition to the fabulous solo performances, Cabaret Night also featured a few group numbers by Choir, the High C’s A Cappella group, dance, and orchestra. Choir’s fun-filled mashup of the songs “Halo” and “Walking on Sunshine” brought a smile to everyone’s face, while the orchestra’s upbeat rendition of “Poker Face” got the audience dancing. Furthermore, the High C’s “Light of a Clear Blue Morning” and Dance’s “Walking to New Orleans” became instant fan-favorites. With another Cabaret Night come and gone, we are excited to see what our performers are working on next – and we can’t wait for the Spring Arts Festival!