The Marymount Players Present: The Triangle Factory Fire Project

Isabella Kiene '19, Staff Writer

It’s officially the fall season, and you know what that means: the Marymount fall play is finally underway! The Triangle Factory Fire Project, this year’s play, is a historical piece about the tragic fire at the New York Shirtwaist factory in 1911, which took the lives of 146 people, and the dramatic trial that follows afterward. This devastating story will force the Marymount girls to channel their inner drama and prepare for an emotional role that will evoke empathy and captivate audience members with an invigorated desire for justice for these women.

Courtesy of Isabella Kiene ’19

I wanted to ask some players about how they are preparing for their intense role, and I received many different responses. Clara Kiene, a freshman playing Ethel Monick, a floor girl on the ninth floor says, “It takes a lot of research into my character’s real-life and learning about the pain she felt so I can channel it into my real-life pain for the audience.” Caroline Hawley, a senior playing the role of Mrs. Belmont, an upper-class advocate and suffragette for all women, told me about the specifics of what goes into her role, stating, “I am looking up articles and pictures during this time period and about the actual fire. I am also looking up specific things about my characters and seeing what kind of lives they lived and their background to help me develop my character. I am really trying to tap into their emotions and evaluate how they reacted to this tragedy.”

Courtesy of Isabella Kiene ’19

It looks like the Marymount Players are putting a lot of hard work into the play and from what I have observed, their hard work is more than paying off. So, make sure to come and watch our Marymount Players perform The Triangle Factory Project in Cantwell on Friday the 9th at 7 p.m., Saturday the 10th at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m., and Sunday the 11th at 2 p.m.!

Courtesy of Isabella Kiene ’19; Caroline Hawley ’19 will play the role of Mrs. Belmont.