And the Oscar Goes To…

Arianna Garcia '20, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Oscar season is almost upon us, and this year’s contenders for the coveted golden statue are truly fantastic films. Although the actual awards ceremony doesn’t take place for a few more months, that doesn’t mean that we can’t make some predictions of our own. Without further ado, here are a few of my picks…

Courtesy of New Yorker

A Star is Born

Perhaps one of the most talked about films of the year, A Star is Born certainly hasn’t lost its star power since its release in October. The film itself has grossed over 350 million dollars worldwide and continues to perform well at the box office. Starring Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga, the film tells the story of a male singer whose stardom is waning while the woman that he is in love with is becoming a household name. Based on the critically acclaimed classic version of the film, A Star is Born has received rave reviews which will almost certainly translate into Oscar victory. 

Courtesy of PopSugar

Beautiful Boy

Based on a true story, this beautiful film tells the tale of a teenage boy named Nic Sheff who seems to have it all – great grades, an undeniable amount of talent as a writer and an athlete, and a family who loves him more than anything in the world. Although it seems as though everything is going according to plan, Nic’s sudden and unexpected addiction to methamphetamine – a deadly drug – threatens not only his life, but everyone in it. As Nic’s father, David, desperately tries to save him, he realizes what unconditional love really means. Featuring stellar performances from Academy-Award nominees Steve Carell and real-life beautiful boy Timothée Chalamet (Google him if you don’t believe me), Beautiful Boy has received a great deal of Oscar buzz since its debut at the Toronto International Film Festival in September. Furthermore, the film draws inspiration from the actual memoirs of David and Nic (entitled Beautiful Boy and Tweak, respectively), making it all the more heartbreaking and poignant.

Courtesy of Vulture

BlacKkKlansman

BlacKkKlansman has a solid shot at winning the “Best Picture” category, as it is directed by Spike Lee and produced by none other than Jordan Peele, whose 2017 horror film Get Out won him the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay (in addition to a Best Picture nomination). The film recounts the unbelievable true story of Ron Stallworth, the first African American detective to protect and serve in the Colorado Springs Police Department during the 1970’s. Accompanied by his seasoned colleague Flip Zimmerman, Stallworth embarks on a dangerous mission to infiltrate and take down the infamous Ku Klux Klan.

Courtesy of Vulture

Black Panther

This Marvel film – which would be the first superhero film ever to be nominated in the Best Picture category – is the world’s ninth-highest-grossing film of all time, bringing in 1.344 billion dollars. Black Panther tells the story of T’Challa, a young man from the technologically-advanced nation of Wakanda. After his father’s sudden death, T’Challa returns home to take his rightful place on the throne as the Black Panther. However, after an unexpected enemy emerges, T’Challa is forced to summon all of his strength to protect Wakanda and retain his position as the Black Panther.

Courtesy of Business Insider

First Man

First Man has received a great deal of Oscar-buzz recently, as one of its stars – Mr. Ryan Gosling – was in the wildly successful La La Land last year. In this film, Gosling takes one small step for man and one giant leap for mankind as he plays Neil Armstrong during one of the most important times in his life. Featuring stellar performances by Gosling and Claire Foy (of Netflix’s The Crown), this is a strong contender for Best Picture.

Courtesy of Vanity Fair

Green Book

Green Book is the feel-good race drama of the year that will most likely be the dark-horse in the running in this year’s Oscars. Featuring brilliant performances by Mahershala Ali and Viggo Mortensen, the film explores race-relations in the Deep South during the 1960’s. When a famous African American pianist requires a driver to take him all across the Deep South for a concert tour, he forms an unexpected friendship with the man he hires: an Italian-American fellow from the Bronx. Although they initially seem like polar opposites, the two men quickly become close and are forced to take on racism during a time of intense segregation.

So the next time you find yourself flipping through your Netflix recommendations (and deciding to watch Friends for the billionth time), consider checking out one of these fun films instead! Your future self will thank you for it.