Senior Spotlight: Marymount Plays and Musicals Throughout the Last Four Years

Porter Stracke '20, Staff Writer

Izzy Olavarria:

What shows have you been a part of?

I have been a part of all 4 musicals during my time at Marymount: Wonderful Town, Curtains, 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, and now Fiddler on the Roof. 

What is some advice you have for incoming freshmen who want to be a part of Marymount Players?

I would advise the freshmen to audition even if they doubt their abilities or only kind of want to do it. Please try!! You won’t regret it. No matter what you will have a meaningful experience, whether it’s making a friend, discovering a talent, or learning life lessons through the production. You will have so much fun in the welcoming environment. 

What has been your favorite tradition/memory?

I have soooo many funny memories from the Marymount Players but I’ve especially loved the traditions like going to Lenny’s Diner after every Saturday night performance. 

What do you want the rest of the school to know about Marymount Players? 

I want the rest of the school to know how much work is put into each rehearsal and each show because I feel like performing arts sometimes fall behind sports and people don’t appreciate it that much at school. I also want everyone to know that they should try being part of at least one show in some way during their time at Marymount. If you don’t, you’re missing out!! 

What will you miss most next year from Marymount Players?

I will miss each person who I’ve worked with in the Marymount Players all 4 years, and the general community of amazing talent. I feel so lucky to be a part of it! 

How has this experience shaped you?

This experience has shaped me in so many ways but I’ll never forget when Ms. Hackett would talk about impermanence. We work so hard everyday for months on a show that’s performed 4 times. We create a specific, detailed life that brings so much joy but is destroyed the next day, never to be recreated. Theater is so different from everything else. You can’t go back and watch the movie or look at the painting, you have to live in the moment and take everything in while you can. This has taught me that nothing is permanent and we have to appreciate everything in life while it’s happening. 

If you could describe the Marymount Players in one word, what would it be? 

Energy. 

Isabelle Perez:

What shows have you been a part of?

I’ve been in 5 productions: Wonderful Town, Curtains, The Triangle Factory Fire project, 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, and Clue. I also did crew for As You Like It during my sophomore year.

For anyone who’s thinking about joining the Marymount Players, I would just go for it! I came into the players with barely any experience doing theatre and the players quickly became my favorite part about Marymount. Some of my favorite memories are from rehearsals and productions.

My favorite memory of the Marymount Players is of the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, from rehearsals all the way until closing night. I loved that show so much and it was my last time being in a production with some of my best friends. 

You can join the Marymount Players regardless of your experience! The players will accept anyone with open arms.   

I’m definitely going to miss the sense of community. I’ve made so many supportive and loving friends throughout my years as a player, and I’m definitely going to miss all of them next year. 

How has this experience shaped you?

The players helped me become more confident in myself, both onstage and in the classroom. I also learned a lot of life skills like time management, responsibility, and punctuality. 

Amazing!

Ally Olson:

What shows have you been a part of?

I’ve acted in the following plays: Trunk Show, As You Like It, The Triangle Factory Fire Project, and Clue. Additionally, I’ve acted in the following musicals: Wonderful Town, Curtains, the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, and now Fiddler on the Roof!

The best piece of advice I can give is definitely to not be afraid of looking weird. I spent so much time freshman year worrying about embarrassing myself while acting. I didn’t want to look weird or stand out. But everyone around me taught me that acting is about taking chances and fully committing to your character. And everyone around you will be encouraging you, not making fun of you. The Marymount Players community is a safe space.

My favorite tradition is when the cast recites a Tibetan chant before the last performance on Sunday. The chant is meant to bring in good energy and has been continued for many years. I hope it is kept up for many more!

The Marymount Players is one of the most accepting and friendly communities I’ve been a part of. We are always there for each other and lift each other up. You could not be close with someone, and one rehearsal later, they’re your best friend.

I am going to miss my friends. I’ve made so many of my friends through the plays and musicals. These experiences allowed me to make friends in each grade level that I probably would’ve never talked to if I didn’t do the shows.

How has this experience shaped you?

Being apart of the Marymount Players has taught me more about myself than any class I’ve ever taken. I feel comfortable being loud, outgoing, and most importantly, myself. I’ve learned my strengths and weaknesses and made my best friends in this community.

family 🙂

Amy Goldring:

What shows have you been a part of?

I have been a part of the Triangle Factory Project, 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, Clue, and Fiddler on the Roof. 

I think I would tell incoming freshmen that you get as much back as you put in. For example, if you are dedicated and make a huge effort with the cast/crew, you will have an amazing experience and make friends for a lifetime. If you don’t put that much effort in, then you won’t have as good an experience as someone who is.

My favorite tradition is the prayer before every performance because I feel in that moment, the world falls away and you are present with your cast-mates.

I want the school to know how much effort we put into all our productions. Before a production, there are auditions, callbacks, months of rehearsal, building sets, and 10 run-throughs of the show. It takes a village to create these productions.

I will miss going to Cantwell after school every day and hanging out with all my friends in the Marymount Players.

How has this experience shaped you? 

The experience has brought me so much joy and has helped me open up to more people. It has also made me more confident in my acting and singing.

Community

Sam Hidalgo:

What shows have you been a part of?

I’ve been a part of the Build and Stage Crew for As You Like It, Curtains, Triangle Factory Fire Project, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, Clue, and now Fiddler on the Roof. 

I would definitely encourage incoming freshmen to join! If they have any hesitations about joining either the cast or crew, I would reassure them that the Marymount Players are a welcoming group of people, and that your level of experience doesn’t matter when you’re with the Players. You can be a seasoned actor or completely new to the theatre community; none of that matters, so long as you come prepared with an open mind, dedication, and passion. 

My favorite memory from being a part of the Marymount Players would have to be running lights for Curtains. It was the first musical I worked on as a member of Stage Crew, and so I felt a lot of pressure and nervousness to take on the job of running the spotlight. However, despite having these pre show nerves, I vividly remember all the energy and excitement both the cast and crew had during the process. Everyone was really enjoying themselves, making the show an even bigger success in my eyes. I had so much fun working on this production, and it’s definitely one that holds a special place in my heart. 

I would want the rest of the school to know that the Marymount Players is truly an accepting and kind group of people. It’s a judgement-free zone, and while it may seem intimidating to put yourself out there (especially on stage), it’s really a fun and rewarding experience. 

I will definitely miss all the underclassmen that I’ve become friends with through the Marymount Players. Being a part of the Players has given me the chance to meet so many people outside of my grade, and I’ve become really good friends with so many juniors, sophomores, and freshmen, that it’ll feel so weird to not come to rehearsal everyday and see them. 

How has this experience shaped you? 

Being a part of the Marymount Players, or the Performing Arts in general, has allowed me to strengthen my confidence. It’s helped me become closer with some of my best friends, and I’ve found a strong appreciation for the performing arts during my time at Marymount. This experience taught me the importance of teamwork and cooperation and how the success of the show comes not just from ticket sales and sold-out performances, but also the team effort from both the cast and crew. 

Family.