Netflix Hits

Netflix+Hits

Stephanie Sowa '21, Athletics Section Editor

As a senior overwhelmed with college applications, watching Netflix is rarely an easy feat. Thankfully, I have a family that places an emphasis on self-care and rejuvenation, so watching Netflix is an essential part of my weekend routine. I have compiled some of the most popular Netflix Hits; I apologize for any bias ahead of time, and I hope that you too can enjoy these productions during your relaxation time. 

• Emily in Paris
    • Lily Collins. In Paris. Hello?! Must I say more? Perhaps it is because Lily Collins has swept me away in her performances in Love, Rosie and Mirror, Mirror, but I am ecstatic to be watching anything she stars in. “Emily in Paris” was released on Netflix on October 2nd with 10 episodes. It follows the story of Emily Cooper, an American marketing executive, who moves to Paris to pursue her dream job, although she cannot speak French. I could not be more thrilled to begin this series.
  • How to Get Away with Murder
    • A charming and dramatic combination of serial and episodic television. “How to Get Away with Murder” stars the brilliantly talented Viola Davis playing Annalise Keating, a renowned law professor and criminal defense attorney. She selected a group of students to assist with her cases, and things get messy… or shall I say bloody.  This show has a consistent plot threaded throughout the season, yet there are new cases introduced each episode to create an energetic series. This show began in 2014 and its final and 6th season was released this year. Absolutely binge-worthy.
  • Schitt’s Creek
    • If you need to laugh, I mean that you literally need to laugh until you happily cry, Schitt’s Creek is the show for you. This show swept the 2020 Emmy’s and it was well-earned. The plot follows an extremely wealthy family hitting rock bottom left with only Schitt’s Creek, the only remaining asset of their fortune. The spoilt family of four must move to this remote town and hilarity ensues. You could rewatch any episode to put a smile on your face.
  • To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before
    • Although this movie was released in 2018 with the sequel, To All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You, released earlier this year, it is such a heartwarming teenage love story. Lara Jean Covey, played by the adorable Lana Condor, has written love letters to each of the boys she has loved in her life. Mysteriously, these letters are sent out to the boys and she is left to deal with the (romantic) repercussions. The bibliophile in me urges you to read the book series before watching these beloved films, but if you’re not into reading, I still highly recommend grabbing a box of chocolates and watching these movies.
  • Enola Holmes
    • Milly Bobby Brown. Henry Cavill. Sam Claflin. Helena Bonham Carter. A star-studded cast might I add. I have yet to watch this film, but it was released on my birthday a few weeks ago, so I’m looking forward to it! The movie follows Enola Holmes, the younger teenage sister of Sherlock Holmes, during her detective journey to find her missing mother and details her entertaining interactions along the way. My aunt, who is from London, highly recommends watching with a cup of your favorite tea.
  • Sweet Magnolias
    • I binged watched this show towards the beginning of quarantine and it fills the audience with such a warm and fuzzy feeling. It occurs in a small southern town called Serenity and follows the friendship of three unique best friends and their families. It communicates important life lessons with magical performances delivered by each character. Despite the absolute sweetness of the show, the plot twist at the end leaves the audience suspended, waiting and hoping for a second season.
  • The Order
    • A magic society. A group of werewolves. A potential apocalypse. All set on a college campus. The Order absolutely engrossed me in its two seasons on Netflix, and I will beg Netflix for a third season. It follows the story of Jack Morton whose mission is to avenge his dead mother and finds himself surrounded by a world of magic and new friendships. He may also have to save the world. If you watch, I am happy to discuss.
  • Outer Banks
    • I’m sure that everyone is thrilled with the return of OBX, as it has been confirmed to return for a second season. At least I’m thrilled! If you need a taste of summer during these sometimes dreary school months, rewatch this series or watch it for the first time. It will not disappoint. The Pogues set off on an intense treasure hunt and consistently clash with the wealthy Kooks on their beloved, shared island. The drama. The romance. The treasure. The bandanas. What else can you ask for?