Marymount Players Launch off with Peter and the StarCatcher

Morgan McIntosh, Staff Section Editor

After attending school plays and musicals virtually for almost a year and a half, Marymount has kicked off the 2021-2022 school year with Peter and the StarCatcher: an in-person, light-hearted, and warm-felt play. 

Peter and the StarCatcher is a play adapted from the 2004 best-selling novel written by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson.

Spinning off of the childhood classic “Peter Pan”, Peter and the StarCatcher entails treacherous, nail-biting battles with pirates, captivating encounters with inhabitants from hidden islands, presaging thunderstorms, and more. 

Specifically, this play navigates through the life of young Peter Pan, particularly how the orphan’s journey led him to become, well, The Boy Who Will Not Grow Up.

Fearless Peter, played by Evelyn Prophit (‘23), embarks on a journey to escape the tyrannical rule of King Zarboff. Setting sail to the wondrous Never Land, the Journey of Escape twists into one of exhilaration, danger, and unwinding secrets. 

With characters surrounding those of Peter Pan, such as young orphan Peter and the classic Captain Hook- personified by the terrifying but comical Black Stache- this play will not fail to provide the audience with a simultaneous sense of familiarity and suspense!

As Marymount welcomes and opens its’ stage curtains to this evocative and beloved story, it is noteworthy to acknowledge the eminent themes of friendship, laughter, and love wrought within the tale. Particularly, its importance of unity rises during these grateful times, in which the Marymount school community was once physically separated but is ecstatic to be back on campus. With in-person school rolling back in, Marymount welcomed sailor sisters and staff to re-connect and smile together once more. 

The announcement of Peter and the StarCatcher as the school’s 2021-2022 play symbolizes an overarching theme of bond and love- themes that never fail to shine within the Marymount community.

Ergo, keep an eye out for the show-stopping play soon to hit theatres. Laugh, smile, and aw with the characters as Marymount Players’ Peter and the StarCatcher takes you along on an immersing story- one unveiling the mysterious and suspenseful past of our beloved lost boy from Neverland.