The Anchor

The Anchor

The Anchor

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

“Dune: Part 2” Release Date Postponed

Poster for “Dune: Part 2”. Photo courtesy of Dune News Net

Fans are anticipating the release of Dune: Part 2 after the success of the first movie in October of 2021, but they will have to wait. Film production has been postponed due to the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes currently taking place in Hollywood.

Movie and television writers, with the support of many actors, have gone on strike against movie studios due to issues pertaining to wages and the use of Artificial Intelligence. Studios want to pay writers less as they think that they can replace most of their work with the help of AI, and supporters of the strikes claim that the writers’ ideas and scripts cannot be replicated by these programs. Either way, job security for many people in the entertainment industry is threatened, and this issue has caused a large amount of stress and anger among artists.

Protesters for the Writer’s Guild Association. Photo courtesy of The Atlantic.

From what viewers currently know about Dune: Part 2, the movie is based on the second half of the novel Dune by Frank Herbert. It follows Paul Atreides (played by Timothee Chalamet), Chani (played by Zendaya), and the Freman as they rebel against Emperor Shaddam (played by Christopher Walken). Watchers look forward to seeing how the plot develops following the first film as well as how the movie is adapted from the book. The first Dune movie was very similar to the novel, however many characters and a few scenes were cut from the film. In addition, viewers are excited to watch Austin Butler and Florence Pugh, who joined the second film. Fans anticipate the release of Dune: Part 2 on March 15, 2024.

The set for Dune: Part 2 in Altivole, Italy. Photo courtesy of Dune News Net.

Although many fans are disappointed with the delay in the release of Dune: Part 2, many continue to support the WGA and SAG-AFTRA in earning fair wages and treatment for their members.