The Anchor

The Anchor

The Anchor

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Sofia Coppola’s New Film Highlights the Life of Priscilla Presley

Sofia Coppola’s film “Priscilla” was released in theaters on October 27, 2023. Co-directed by Coppola and Priscilla Presley, the movie reexamines the life of Elvis Presley through Priscilla’s perspective.

Sofia Coppola, Priscilla Presley, Cailee Spaeny, and Jacob Elordi at the Venice Film Festival. Photo courtesy of Variety

Based on Priscilla Presley’s memoir, “Elvis and Me,” the movie immerses the viewer in Priscilla’s shoes as it portrays Elvis’s life through the eyes of the woman he married. The film begins with Elvis and Priscilla’s first encounter in 1959. Fourteen-year-old Priscilla, portrayed by Cailee Spaeny, has moved from Texas to Germany where her father, an Air Force captain, has been stationed. The twenty-four-year-old Elvis, played by Jacob Elordi, is also stationed in Germany for his military service, and this is where the two first meet. The two take an interest in each other, and while Elvis claims he has honorable intentions, the movie later reveals how his manipulation in the couple’s relationship remains apparent throughout.

Cailee Spaeny and Jacob Elordi on the set of “Priscilla.” Photo courtesy of Harper’s BAZAAR Australia

Coppola effectively illustrates the imbalance of power and age in Elvis and Priscilla’s relationship while also allowing the audience to experience the thrill and euphoria Priscilla felt in the early stages of her marriage to the global sensation. Additionally, she portrays the not-so-glamorous aspects of the marriage between Priscilla and Elvis. The renowned singer reveals his true colors as the film progresses; some examples include his abuse of drugs, bursts of physical violence, and control of his wife through her wardrobe and appearance. Coppola also depicts the feeling of isolation Priscilla experienced throughout her marriage as Elvis progressively ignores her and shows attention to other women in the presence of his wife.

Cailee Spaeny as Priscilla. Photo courtesy of Harper’s BAZAAR

Through Coppola’s impactful representation of Priscilla’s life from her perspective, the audience is exposed to the true behavior of an American icon.