The Anchor

The Anchor

The Anchor

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The Met Gala Announces its 2024 Theme: “Sleeping Beauties: Reawakening Fashion”

What is the Met Gala? The Met Gala is the annual fundraiser for the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. This event represents the most prestigious fashion and social event of the year. The Met Gala became an outlet for fashion creativity and a breakthrough of different eras, designs, and arts. The guest list for the Met Gala is carefully crafted by the editor-in-chief of Vogue Magazine, Anna Wintour. Many yearn for an invitation, but the guest list is exclusive and private.

At the 2023 Met Gala Carpet, the paparazzi waits to take photos of celebrities. Photo courtesy of Gulf News

This year’s theme for the Met Gala is: ‘Sleeping Beauties: Reawakening Fashion’. This year, the Met is showcasing pieces of clothing from over 250 years’ worth of fashion. These items, such as jackets, hats, sweaters, dresses, etc., are too delicate to leave their holders (“Sleeping Beauties”) and will showcase as a mark for fashion’s strides forward, but also serve as a reminder of how deeply rooted the history of fashion is. These pieces will serve as cues of the past and the legacy left behind by others. The exhibit will be split into three sections: land, sea, and sky, primarily based on materials used, so many of the guests in attendance will likely be dressed similarly to the patterns of nature.

Blake Lively poses for a picture on the carpet at the 2018 Met Gala. Photo courtesy of Vogue
Vintage pieces that could be featured in the exhibit. Photo courtesy of Sports Illustrated Lifestyle

The theme of this year is significant as it will help define fashion and show how evolving it is. This theme has many interpretations that will be made apparent on the carpet. Some ideas that can be predicted from this theme include the renewal of vintage items, mixtures of outfits from different periods, modeling outfits/looks of classic art pieces, and a revival of early fashion.

Some past themes include 2023’s “Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty,” 2019’s “Camp: Notes on Fashion,” 2018’s “Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination,” and 2013’s “Punk: Chaos to Couture.” These themes were highly inventive and showcased new uses of fashion. While the guest list is never shared before the night of the Met, many familiar faces stay consistent with the theme, and they will hopefully be in attendance.