Service in Sports

Courtesy of Bella Wright '19

Courtesy of Bella Wright '19

Courtesy of Bella Wright '19

Bella Wright '19, Athletics Section Editor

On the playing field, we are all equal. Barriers of sex, sexuality, or disability transcend, and all is left is a ball or a hoop or a track. The playing field does not care who are you are or where you have come from. Sports unite us with our team, teach us about life, and allow us to grow and learn and to most importantly have fun. Sports have always been a major part of my life, so when I heard about the Special Olympics, I knew I had to get involved. On November 11th and 12th in Fountain Valley, California, the 2017 Special Olympics Southern California Fall Games were held. Not in a million years did I expect what I was about to encounter at this incredible event.

Courtesy of Bella Wright '19

Over 900 athletes from all around Southern California all came to compete. I volunteered as a sideline referee for soccer games. As I ran up and down the field, I couldn’t help but smile the entire time. These men and women were filled with so much joy.  Every time they scored, the entire team erupted with joy and happiness and congratulations. If somebody fell down or tripped, there were at least two people, from the other team, I might add, to come and pick them up off their feet. The entire day was filled with so much happiness and hope and love, despite what all these people have to face every single day of their lives. In that soccer game, it didn’t matter what disability each player had; they were playing and having so much fun, and it was beautiful. I encourage all of you – even if you have an hour or an entire day – to go volunteer and help out with the Special Olympics. It will bring you so much joy and truly change your life.

Link to Special Olympics: http://www.specialolympics.org