Overview of Fall Sports

Stephanie Sowa '21 and Brooke Pierpoint '21, Athletics Section Editor and Staff Writer

At Marymount, sports are an extremely important part of our community. Since the beginning of the summer, Marymount athletes have been consistently training. Their hard work has been paying off, especially for our fall sports. Every team is putting their best effort into every game and the results are outstanding.

Marymount’s Volleyball team is once again, EXTRAORDINARY!!! Varsity Volleyball has had 27 wins with nail-biting rallies. Marymount participated in the prestigious, invitational Nike Tournament with teams from all over the country. Sailors faced their biggest rival, Mater Dei, in the finals and won the entire tournament. Junior Varsity has claimed 21 wins with two impressive first-place finishes in difficult tournaments. Frosh/Soph has won 18 games and continues their outstanding play. In the Malibu Tournament, they brought home a first place trophy, and in the Redondo Tournament, they came in third. Head Coach Cari Klein is impressed with how far the teams have come and how close they have grown. She commends the amazing blocking she has seen this year and understands how important the passing is during the matches. Cari looks forward to motivating her teams, winning league and hopefully taking a CIF Championship. Keep up the good work, volleyball!

Cross Country is currently building their stamina and strength to combat their rivals, which has been very successful so far. Varsity took first place in the Beverly Hills meet with Junior Varsity coming in second place against Beverly Hills. Cross Country has been consistently performing well, with first and second place finishes throughout their recent four meets. Sophomore runner, Grace Staver, explains their practices have progressively grown more difficult due to the competitiveness present on the teams. The Sailors have been continuously improving and their determination to win leads them to numerous victories. Coach Lasan is extremely supportive, especially with the amazing bread he provides his team with after morning practice. No wonder our girls want to get up in the morning – thank you Lasan. Let’s go cross country!

Tennis season has been incredibly successful. The sailor tennis players moved up to Division I this year due to their consistent outstanding performances. The teams they’ve had to face have been significantly harder, but their unbelievable persistence and perseverance have sparked their desire to win. Varsity has won 7 victorious matches. They recently played their number one rival, Chaminade, and clinched the victory! Each individual poured their heart into every game, and after three long hours, the sailors pulled out the win. Coach Eli is impressed with how far the team has come throughout the season and continues to push the athletes to the best of their abilities. Varsity is continuously working on strategies and ways to improve their play. Junior Varsity has had 10 wins, beating every single one of Marymount’s rivals. The motivation and drive present on JV Tennis is amazing: co-captains Caroline Riddell and Campbell Lewis were recently awarded Athletes of the Week due to their many triumphs and teamwork. Serve it up tennis and bring home those wins!

Golf has been training every day and it has shown. Varsity has three amazing wins under their belt and each sailor continues to strive for success. Recently, the team brought home their first league win against Alemany with freshman Emily Fox shooting a 48, and senior captain Chloe Bermejo shooting a 49 on this par 37 course. Their results are phenomenal and they held an unforgettable senior night for our amazing sailor golfers who will be leaving us before we know it! Until then, golf persists and works on their strokes and precision to finish out the season strong. Continue striving for those hole in ones sailors!