The Upcoming Basketball Season

Kelly Sodl '20, Staff Writer

With challenging practices and high-performance drills, the Marymount Basketball teams are ready for successful seasons. The JV Basketball team is dominating. By overcoming difficult obstacles and achieving personal goals, they continue to impress the Marymount community. Recently, the team competed in the Burroughs Tournament where they defeated Immaculate Heart, Milken, and Notre Dame Academy in well-fought battles. Ultimately, they took 1st place in the tournament and the players are excited about their upcoming season. A brilliant sophomore returner, Sophie Fitzpatrick shares, “We have grown so much from last season and I can’t wait to see how we improve as a team over this season. I am so happy with all my teammates and coaches!”

Varsity Basketball is currently thriving. In addition to the phenomenal coaching staff, there are four returning players and four new freshmen. Jenna Rotherham, the captain and only senior on the team, remains excited to lead the sailors to victory for her final season. Following Jenna, is Talia Romo-Kikuchi, co-captain and only junior on the team who is working towards winning her first banner at Marymount. The two returning sophomores, Nicolette Agajanian and Kayla Winn, are enthusiastic and willing to give everything they’ve got in order to succeed. Furthermore, the team has acquired promising players who are eager and ready to become basketball champions. Sofia Roberts, AJ Santos, Rhiann Sheffie, and Bella Agajanian each bring something unique and special to the team. Whether it be their height, their quickness, their superb shooting form, or their positive spirit, each member is essential to the team. Going undefeated in their first tournament at the Tip-off Classic Tournament, and winning their game against Moorpark, the Sailors’ season looks very successful. We believe in you, basketball!