Up to Bat

Sarah Ambrose '20, Staff Writer

Watch out for the Sailor Softball team this spring! Following last year’s impressive run to the CIF Division 7 semifinals, the team has moved up to division 6 and is ready to battle its way back into CIF playoffs. According to second baseman Mary Cooper ’20, “After coming close to the CIF championship last year, we are ready for redemption, and I hope our sailor spirit will help us get there!” Mary’s passion reflects the motivation that pushes the team at every one of their practices. Returning team leaders, Cassidy Capata ’19 and Devin Waddell ’20, plan to show their leadership both on and off the field. Waddell says, “This year’s team has a lot of raw talent from both returning players and incoming freshmen. The taste of success from last year’s postseason run will be the driving force towards becoming 2019 league champions.” Recently, the sailors defeated Hamilton High School, a Division I softball team, with phenomenal pitching by Devin Waddell and solid batting from the players. Hamilton’s defense was difficult to break, but the sailors were victorious as they ended the game in an extra inning with the help from a memorable out by Biernot and Capata.

With a few new additions to the roster and seven pages of returning softball cheers, the team is fired up and ready to face tough competition in 2019 on the road or at home at Westchester Park. The season ahead looks very promising and the team is practicing consistently in order to ensure success. We are so proud of you softball, keep up the awesome performance. Go Sailors!