Warm Weather Alternatives

Lucy Davidov '20, Staff Writer

Approaching this winter season, many were looking forward to snuggling up on the couch, listening to the rain, reading a book, and taking in the cold weather. What is better than Netflix and hot chocolate? Or visiting the snow and skiing and snowboarding? It is a magical time full of fun and exciting exercise. But after experiencing the rain more often than usual in our normally sunny Los Angeles, people are eager for the sunshine and spring activities to begin.

To start off the beginning of this new season, let us remember the exciting things that come with the warmth. Instead of bundling up in multiple layers of clothes, we can lighten the load as we begin wearing dresses, skirts, shorts and our bathing suits at the beach! With the sunshine beating down, our options are endless!

As we embrace this upcoming spring season, here are a few activities to keep you busy, happy, and healthy.

1. Hiking is a fun way to get outside and exercise while taking in the beautiful surroundings of Los Angeles and spending quality time with family or friends.
  2. Spending time at the beach is always a viable option for those looking to cool off on a hot day, relax on the sand, suntan, take a swim, and have a blast with loved ones. Taking a walk along the shore or a run is a great way to improve your cardio.
  3. Bike rides are always enjoyable when passing time in the California sun. Riding your bike on a trail or near the ocean is a great way to stay cool with the warm breeze. This also allows you to travel to fun places without a license!
  4. With the introduction of the hot sun, ice cream re-enters as a staple in most people’s diets (although it is completely understandable if it never left). After a difficult workout or the need for sugar prior to an activity, ice cream becomes much more enjoyable and delicious when eating it in hot weather. Don’t forget your favorite toppings!
  5. Lastly, spring is a perfect time to plan a picnic with others because you and your friends can enjoy some of your favorite snacks on a warm day under the beautiful cloudless sky. Researching new recipes on Pinterest and creating checklists would also be super helpful for this activity.

Hopefully you are excited by these tips and eventually try one of these awesome activities as it becomes warmer and warmer in LA. Remember that you can survive the rain! 🙂