Get to Know Our New Athletics Staff!

Suhailah Tucker, Staff Writer

My name is Suhailah Tucker and this past week, I interviewed our new athletic staff joining Marymount! First, we have Ms. McCarthy, the assistant athletic director. 

Q: What’s your role at Marymount 

A: I take care of the extensive business that goes into making sure Marymount Athletics runs smoothly. I help organize the buses for games, team schedules, order our uniforms, and order the equipment. 

Q: How have you been liking Marymount so far? 

A: I love Marymount! I went to a similar high school when I was younger and love the all-girls, tight-knit community that Marymount brings.

Q: Did you play any sports when you were younger? 

A: Yes, I played basketball all my life and I ran cross country and track. I still like running for fun!

Q: Are there any sports that you are looking forward to?

A: So far, I’m loving all of the sports, especially cross country, but I’m particularly looking forward to basketball in the winter. I love watching athletes band together and play for a common good!

Q: What’s one piece of advice that you can give to our student-athletes at Marymount? 

A: I would say to invest your time and energy into your teammates and get to know their personal strengths and weaknesses. 

Secondly, I interviewed Ms. Zamani, our new athletic trainer. 

Q: What’s your role at Marymount as the athletic trainer?

A: My role as the athletic trainer is to be an emergency responder in case anything happens. I’m also the leader of the sports medicine club, which will be starting soon! My goal for all athletes is to allow them to play their sport safely and with proper care. I also help with the game prep, such as assembling the water and Gatorade for the players, and I also travel for off-campus sporting events!

Q: How are you liking it so far?

A: I love it! I’ve worked at several schools and this one is truly special! It’s a lot of fun!

Q: How can athletes help prevent injuries? 

A: Athletes can help prevent injuries by avoiding overuse and burnout in their sport. Sleep and proper nutrition are also very important for athletes. Lastly, stretching is excellent because it helps loosen up the muscles after exercise! 

Q: Any tips for student-athletes? 

A: Always make sure to rest when you’re able to! You need downtime for your body to recover! Also, make sure to hydrate often and sleep a lot for your growing bodies. Last but not least, enjoy what you’re doing! It’s hard to dedicate yourself to your sport if you don’t truly enjoy it. Taking a step back is more than okay.