The Anchor

The Anchor

The Anchor

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Navigating Varsity Tennis as a Freshman

How I Found My Place on Varsity

Entering high school is a nerve-racking experience, especially when being on a varsity team. As the only freshman on varsity tennis, the thought of being surrounded by older, more experienced players was intimidating and overwhelming. Little did I know, this team would become my second family, accepting me with open arms and guiding me through this new experience.

The first day of practice was stressful, my mind was racing with questions and doubts. Would they accept me? Would I be able to keep up with their level? These questions consumed my mind, for the pressure to prove myself to athletes who had been playing together for years was immense. However, as soon as I met my teammates, my worries began to fade away.

From the start, the girls on the tennis team treated me like an equal, embracing me as if I had been a part of the team for years. What made this experience more special was the genuine care and concern that my teammates showed me. They went out of their way to make me feel included by offering me a shoulder to lean on and cheering me on during matches. It was as if we had known each other for years, despite the short time we spent together.

Being part of this incredible team has not only improved my tennis skills but also helped me as a person. Their support gave me the confidence I needed to push myself and improve both on and off the court. They have taught me the importance of teamwork, friendship, and perseverance.

The bond in which we have formed has led us to an undefeated season! We cheer each other on, push each other to be better, and celebrate every win as a team. Together, we have conquered every opponent that’s stood in our way, and we are determined to stay that way.

As I reflect on my journey from a nervous freshman to an integral part of the team, I am filled with gratitude. My teammates are more than just my teammates, they are my older sisters. 

So, to anyone who may feel nervous about joining any team, remember that sometimes the most intimidating situations can lead to the most rewarding experiences. Embrace the opportunity and open yourself up to the possibility of finding a group of individuals who will not only accept you but also become your second family.