The Anchor

The Anchor

The Anchor

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

NBA In-Season Tournament

The start of the 2023-2024 NBA season brought the exciting introduction of the new in-season tournament. In this new component of the NBA, all 30 teams were randomly drawn into groups of five within their conference based on won-loss records from the 2022–23 regular season. From November 3rd to the 28th, each team played four designated Group Play games on “Tournament Nights” – one game against each opponent in its group, with two games at home and two on the road. 

30 NBA teams gear up for the newly introduced In-Season Tournament. Courtesy of the NBA

The matchups of this tournament were very intense and captivating, especially with the uniquely colored courts that were especially used for tournament games. 

All teams were designed a unique court design for their at-home tournament games. The Phoenix Sun’s court stood out! Courtesy of the NBA

The journey to the championships was highly anticipated but also brought some surprising rankings. Top-seed teams like the Denver Nuggets, Golden State Warriors, the Philadelphia 76ers, the Dallas Mavericks, and the Los Angeles Clippers were all knocked out of group play. In the semi-finals, the Lakers went up against the New Orleans Pelicans and dominated as they won 133-89. The results of the Indiana Pacers and Milwaukee Bucks matchup were a big shock as the Pacers came out the victors despite the Bucks being ranked higher. 

On Saturday, December 9th, the Lakers and Pacers played the championship game, both teams seeking the first NBA In-Season Champion Title. Anthony Davis of the Lakers made history once again with his stats as he scored 41 points and had 20 rebounds. Lebron James played well too scoring 24 points. Austin Reaves also did amazing, despite being sick, scoring 28 clutch points. Tyrese Haliburton was the star player of the Pacers, leading them throughout the game with 20 points. In the end, the Lakers came out on top, 123-109. With the Lakers being named the first in-season tournament champs, Lebron James was given the first in-season tournament MVP. 

Lakers named the 1st ever NBA In-Season Tournament Champs. Lebron was given the MVP award. Courtesy of the NBA

With the in-season tournament coming to a close, teams will now put all their focus on the regular season. Fans look forward to the return of the tournament next year.