The Anchor

The Anchor

The Anchor

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Record Breaking Viewers at Nebraska Volleyball Game

Harper Murray serving at Nebraska Memorial Stadium  Courtesy of Steven Branscombe

Earlier this year on the 31st of August 2023, Nebraska University competed against the University of Wisconsin in what would be a record-breaking volleyball match for women’s sports in the U.S. and across the world. Omaha hosted this spectacle at the University of Nebraska in which 92,003 fans supported their desired team, the sport of volleyball, and/or women’s sports in general. The two teams had to play in a football stadium because of the monumental amount of fans. 

For context, both Nebraska and Wisconsin were having outstanding seasons up to this point. Nebraska was ranked #2, with an astonishing record of 19–0, and Wisconsin at #1 in the nation, with a record of 18-0 up to the moment of the game. Both teams were pumped to be performing on such a large stage, with key players Lexi Rodriguez, Harper Murray, and Merritt Beason for Nebraska, and Sarah Franklin, Dana Retke, and Sydney Hilley for Wisconsin. 

Fans celebrate the huge attendance of the match 

Courtesy of “Steven Branscombe”

This game was not only a very fun and exciting match, it was also monumental for Women’s sports all over! In most athletics, male sports get the most views. This is shown in basketball, golf, soccer, and tennis to name a few. For example, on average NBA players make $10,700,000 compared to WNBA players making $113,000. In addition, male soccer players make $471,000 and female soccer players make $54,000 on average. These differences show the wealth inequality in sports and the fight for equality. One aspect of the wage gap for women is the amount of viewers that attend the games. However, matches like Nebraska vs. Wisconsin encourage excitement and support for women’s sports. Slowly but surely, we are making a difference. 

Many professional athletes came to watch the match to support and entertain the sport of volleyball. Erik Shoji, libero for team U.S.A, April Ross, 3-time Olympic medalist for beach volleyball, and many others were in the stands that evening. 

The masses of fans with a highlight on a cheerleader. 

Courtesy of “Steven Branscombe”

I streamed the game on my TV at home and enjoyed watching with popcorn in hand. The support and happiness of the fans towards the female athletes provided me with a new outlook on the continued impact of support on Women’s sports. Funding towards efforts to prioritize girls on the field or in the gym is being prioritized, and the wealth gap between women’s and men’s in sports is slowly being eliminated. The experience of watching the game reminded me of the continual difference we are making as a society. Women are finally getting the recognition they deserve in athletics!