Interfaith Within the Marymount Community

Courtesy of Giphy

Courtesy of Giphy

Freddie von Siemens ‘21, Staff Writer

The holidays are a time when people from all over the world, including every religion, every nationality, every ethnicity, celebrate their faith traditions and spend time with their loved ones. We receive a well-deserved break from our rigorous studies, jobs, and even so for the more stressful aspects of everyday life. This special time of year, from Thanksgiving to New Years, is cherished by different religions in different ways that are unique and to be acknowledged and accepted by all, even those who do not partake. The variety of celebrations and traditions are most certainly loved and accepted, particularly on our very own campus at Marymount High School. We’ve spoken with several students about their own holiday traditions and how they plan to make the most of this time of year.  

Jane Clements, a freshman at Marymount, is a member of the religion of Catholicism and shed light on some of her most cherished holiday festivities and preparations. Catholics celebrate Christmas, or the birth of Christ, during the month of December. To prepare for Christmas, Jane and her family “light an advent wreath and candles, decorate the tree as a family, and [her] dad decorates the outside of the house with Christmas lights”. On Christmas Eve, she and her family go to mass in the evening before they go to sleep at night. When they wake up, “Santa” has come and left some presents and goodies under the tree! How exciting! Although the presents are exciting, Jane’s favorite part about the holidays is “spending time with the friends and family that are flying out”. She also appreciates a nice break from school and homework!

Sophie Dardashti, another freshman at Marymount, spoke with us about her holiday traditions as a member of the Jewish faith. The only major holiday during December is Hannukah, or Chanukah, which is a celebration of mysterious oil that kept a lamp burning for eight days when it was only supposed to burn for one. Many Jewish families light the menorah, one candle a day for eight days, and celebrate with gifts and festivities on each day. Sophie’s family likes to celebrate with “chocolate coins and games of spin the dreidel”. The most important part of the holidays for Sophie is, like many of us, “spending time with [her] family”.

While some might allow religion to pull people apart, this important aspect of our lives should be bringing us together. Although the beliefs of these students are different, they are still good friends because religion means the same thing to each of them. The holidays are a time to be with our families and celebrate our beliefs, and why they might be different, we are united in them.