What Inspires You to Post on Instagram?

Courtesy of Instagram

Courtesy of Instagram

Jacquelyn Neuner '21 and Maia Heisel '21, Staff Writers

Photography is a form of art that can be used to capture the unforgettable memories created through travel or life experiences, and also provides a time-saving explanation of what someone is experiencing. We decided to interview junior, Noel Ermer ‘19 about her Instagram account and what inspires her to post her remarkable photos. Her adventures are her inspiration for improving her photographic skills.

Courtesy of Instagram

What inspired you to post this unique picture of New York City? 

I took the photo on my 8th grade trip to the East Coast in May. I really liked it, so I posted it later that year as a throwback.

Courtesy of Instagram

Who are the people in this next picture with you, and where was it taken? 

The summer after my freshman year, my mom, my sister, and I visited Europe for the first time. This photo of us was taken in a tea room in London, called “Sketch.” The photo, surprisingly, was taken in the bathroom; the huge eggs in the background were toilets!

Courtesy of Instagram

Why did you choose to post this?

My mom was annoyed that she wasn’t in any of my previous pictures.

Does travel impact your creative photography skills?

Yes! I take the most interesting photos when I am traveling, as I get excited by things that are foreign to me.

Courtesy of Instagram

Was visiting the Eiffel Tower your favorite part of Paris?

No. My favorite part was eating cheese plates at all of the cafes!

What is your favorite instagram account? 

I love @lostinhistorypics. Specifically, their posts of 60s-80s pop culture references.

Courtesy of Instagram

What would you say is the overall theme of your instagram page?

I don’t have a specific theme, but I have always wanted my instagram to serve as a place for my greatest memories.

Before interviewing Noel, we had a clear sense that travel influenced her photography. Her expressive photographs helped keep the fond memories of her travels present for her and her followers. We asked Noel a few questions pertaining to her Instagram page and learned that she enjoys traveling, family, and photography. For Noel, it is important that her Instagram page is open for everyone and that her followers to understand the personal meaning behind her intriguing photos.