Educating Oneself on Celiac Disease

Back to Article
Back to Article

Educating Oneself on Celiac Disease

Courtesy of Spoon University

Courtesy of Spoon University

Courtesy of Spoon University

Courtesy of Spoon University

Can you believe it’s already May? Not only is May the penultimate month of the school year, but it is an important time to bring awareness of Celiac Disease. According to the Celiac Disease Foundation, an organization that helps and supplies resources to those who have this disease, Celiac disease can be defined as “… a serious autoimmune disorder that can occur in genetically predisposed people where the ingestion of gluten leads to damage in the small intestine” (“What is Celiac Disease?”).

I, Brooke Pierpoint, have Celiac disease. If I were to ingest gluten, I could get cancer, which is a serious, yet realistic danger. I too, Stephanie Sowa, am allergic to gluten. My digestive system doesn’t cooperate well with gluten and, as a result, I have bad stomach pains.

Celiac affects 1% of the United States population, but it can be extremely damaging as well. Most people remain unaware of what could happen if someone with celiac digests gluten or the hardships that come with a gluten-free lifestyle. These individuals often hold the belief that a gluten-free diet has no meaning. For example, have you ever been around someone with a very strict peanut allergy? Restaurants, schools, and many more public places take it very seriously; therefore, celiac should be regarded just as important!

Providing small snacks that are gluten-free is the first step. Kind Bars, PopChips, and Glutino’s Gluten-Free Pretzels are easy things to stack around for anyone who has celiac. Being careful about the equipment used for gluten should be avoided when dealing with gluten-free items to avoid cross-contamination. Just being cautious when sharing with your celiac friend is greatly appreciated and keeps everyone safe. Some of our friends have even tried to eat more gluten-free snacks, and they actually enjoy them more!

Courtesy of ShelleyCase

When people go off to college or have to relocate, moving with celiac isn’t always easy. Even when traveling, some places don’t offer as many gluten-free options as others. However, supporting and investing in companies such as Udis, which is a popular brand devoted to creating healthy and yummy gluten-free food, that provides helpful tips and yummy snacks is a great way to bring awareness to celiac disease.

Eventually, one gets used to living a gluten-free lifestyle. However, here’s a tip: you don’t have to drone on about how bad bread is to ensure your celiac friend does not feel bad. We really don’t mind! Enjoy that Krispy Kreme donut… just don’t let us have a bite.