Susie the Sailor

Susie the Sailor, Staff Writer

How do you deal with teachers when they have favorites? It’s so annoying.

I am so sorry you or someone you know has to face any sort of bias in the classroom. I agree, it can make it both annoying and distracting to learning. Here are a few strategies you can use to deal with this:

• Confirm that your perception is true.
      1. Does the teacher treat certain students differently than others in terms of grading? Gather evidence instead of simply assuming that the teacher is unfairly grading assignments.
  • If this behavior is intolerable, discuss it with the teacher.
      1. In talking to a teacher about a grade: approach the teacher with both your test and the other student’s test. If you both got a certain question wrong, and the other person’s test is marked as correct, bring this to the teacher’s attention. They will fix their mistake.
      2. In talking privately to your teacher about favoriting students in class discussions: be honest. Tell your teacher that you truly want to succeed in the class, and let them know that you are raising your hand or that you are trying. There is no need to be obtrusive, just honest.
  • TALK TO YOUR ADVISOR:
    1. If you are aggrieved by this teacher’s behavior, please talk to your advisor. They will take your words into consideration and (if you wish) speak with the teacher about favoritism. This could also be helping several other students who are in the same boat.

What is the best way to study for AP euro, and what to do while reading the textbook?

AP Euro! One of the hardest, but most rewarding classes at Marymount. Above all, try your hardest to enjoy the information – trying to understand it out of curiosity is so much better than stressing over the grade. Here are the best ways to stay on track and to obtain the information.

• Never miss a reading.
      1. Always complete the readings. The worst thing is when you have two readings to do in one night because you missed the last. And you must read every reading – a lot more than you think is on the AP Exam.
  • Take notes while reading – take note of key terms.
      1. Take notes on the most important political, economic, and social changes and continuities. Also, write down the most important figures and what they accomplished.
  • Study hard for quizzes!
    1. Studying for the quizzes is the best thing you can do. This will help you remember all the information and spend less time studying for tests, finals, and the actual AP exam.

AP European History can be challenging, but it is not impossible. If you are having a lot of trouble with managing your time and retaining the information, talk to Mr. Beckner! He will be of great help to you. Good luck 🙂 You’ve got this.

How many honors and AP classes should a junior or senior take to get into a top college??

Take what interests you. I know it’s hard, but try not to worry too much about college. Are you more into science? Take honors or AP science class. Are you more interested in literature or history? Take honors or AP English and history classes. In pursuing classes that interest you, you will not only be less stressed, but you will want to work hard and get good grades. If you take too many APs and honors that don’t interest you, you will be both miserable and probably won’t get the grades you want. Colleges like to see that you are passionate and that you have interests. Colleges also like to see consistency! If you are in photography this year and really enjoy it, (but think you should take an AP art class,) take photography B! It is better than taking an AP. Overall, as cheesy as this sounds, follow your heart haha! Do what you think is interesting – colleges will appreciate it.

How do you manage The Anchor on top of school work?

“You don’t find time; you make time.” 🙂

Write about things you love! Write about things you know – it will be easier to manage.

Don’t be afraid to speak up! If you are taking on too much, talk to Ms. Hazell 🙂 She will help you out.