Susie the Sailor

Taylor Thompson '20, Staff Writer

Question #1: I feel like I am missing out on my senior year. Of course, school and apps keep me busy, but I don’t have a group of friends to make final memories with. I have individual friends in the senior class but they are always hanging out with their friend group and the other people in the group hate having me around. What should I do to still enjoy my last year?

First of all, congratulations on making it through senior year thus far! I can only imagine the amount of stress and anxiety you have had to endure with applications, school work, and absolutely everything else…and you made it through!

I am sorry your senior year is not going exactly as planned in terms of social interaction; however, I have a few ideas about this subject matter.

In terms of hanging out with friend groups, do you have an accurate perception of what these groups actually think of you? All of us do this, but maybe you are assuming something that isn’t totally true. We are all hard on ourselves, and maybe they truly like you. My first tip of advice is to experiment with these groups again. Talk to a group that you share interests with and want to spend time with.

If you find that hanging out with friend groups isn’t your thing, that is okay too. Sometimes large groups of friends can be overwhelming. What is important is to spend time with people who you thoroughly enjoy. If your individual friends suffice for making you happy, hang out with them! There is no harm in not having a huge friend group.

Lastly, in your last few months of high school, I would recommend talking to people who you have never gotten the chance to know. What do you have to lose? Plus, maybe with talking to new people, you will find a group of your own. 🙂

Question #2: Hi Susie the Sailor! Lately, I have been going to some parties and it’s been quite fun. The bad thing is, I don’t know most of the music that they play. People keep talking about this guy named Blueface, but I don’t know who he is. I think he made a song called Tatiana? Any tips on how to catch up?

Hi! Wow, girl, good for you!! I am glad you are enjoying your year!

Knowing all the songs can be quite hard, let alone knowing the words and dances that accompany them. The best thing to do is to get a Spotify account. Follow your friends and keep track of the newest songs that will be played at parties.

In listening to music for parties, I would educate yourself a little bit more on Blueface. Blueface, according to Wikipedia, is “an American rapper from Los Angeles, California. Blueface has said that he writes “to the beat,” and uses the instrumental as a base for all of his songs. On January 26, 2019, Blueface’s track “Thotiana” debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 at number 75, making it his first track to chart on a Billboard chart” (Wikipedia). He is a must know if you want to “bust down” at all of the parties.