A Letter from the Editor

Coco Kennedy '22, Editor-In-Chief

Dear Sailors, 

It’s already October and I feel decently overwhelmed with love, gratitude, and school spirit. Never before have I observed the magnitude of energy that is scattered throughout the campus. Our wonderful staff, who have worked long and hard to plan the year, are incandescent, and our students are just the same. We have all waited patiently for normality, and, in the Marymount air, it is truly on the edge of fruition.

I’d like to start with a big sigh. For me, the first few weeks of school were extremely difficult. The scheduling, the adjustment, and duties I had committed myself to — they all had kept my brain on a constant marathon. It was exhausting. I would often come home and just sit in my bed, feeling drowned by the work and the obligations I was set to accomplish. Yet, as I settle into October, I feel more content than ever with myself, my school, and my peers. For everyone who is struggling to keep up: don’t worry, it’s difficult to adjust, but everything must be adjusted from time to time. Keep your pace, learn to quicken up and slow down when needed, but remember to keep your own pace. 

For now, I hope the beginning of each day is as intentful as the end. And with each new day, you learn something new or challenge yourself more than the last. To cap off my letter, I’d like to add a quote by Olympic Marathon medalist, Meb Keflezighi, that I continue to look back on when I have lost courage and motivation:

“I realize that winning doesn’t always mean getting first place; it means getting the best out of yourself.”

Your Editor-in-Chief, 

Coco Kennedy