Susie The Sailor

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Child ship captain, cute kid, sailing, wearing sailor hat, white uniform, leading boat, female, happy cartoon character, young woman person, vector illustration, isolated white background

Katherine Zehenni ‘22, Staff Writer & Features Section Editor

1. How do I ameliorate the dread of a class that I do not enjoy or do not have a passion for?

I totally get this feeling– my past tendency when I am not interested in a class that I have to take was to lose motivation for the class and simply put the checkmark on my assignments rather than putting in the effort to understand and retain the material.  However, I have changed my ways and I think these tips will be helpful if utilized!

Remember that every grade counts! Although that 68% on your geometry test won’t alter the course of your life negatively, but wouldn’t you feel better earning a 95% and genuinely understanding the material for the future? I know I would. So, I practice that mindset that I should give 110% and work hard to understand and apply the material into everyday learning because it will only benefit me. I used to complete assignments for the checkmark and to get the credit, but I never gained anything out of it, so I had to change my habits. It was not an overnight process, but it took stamina and a lot of repetitiveness to get into the groove of success! Plus, these habits will only be advantageous for the future! 

Also, remember that your grades get weighed into your GPA and overall grade in the class, which colleges will see (along with other endeavors). You never know your plans for the future– it inevitably always changes– so try now because you never know!  If you ever need help, Marymount offers resources for your benefit, so seek help from your teachers during their free periods and office hours or get help from your peers and labs. I hope this helps!

2. How can I join The Anchor? Can I only join at the beginning of the school year? What’s the difference between Sunset Magazine and The Anchor?

You can join The Anchor by emailing Coco Kennedy ‘22, the editor-in-chief, or the teacher moderator, Mrs. Uriarte. There is no time slot to join, but preferably at the start of a new issue (at the beginning of each quarter because the newspaper publishes quarterly).

Sunset Magazine is a printed magazine showcasing Marymount students’ creative writing, design, photography, and art. Whereas, The Anchor is Marymount’s Gold Rated online student newspaper displaying articles written by staff writers.