How To Stay Motivated Through Second Semester, Especially As a Senior

Marymount Seniors enjoying their last Marymount Mother-Daughter Brunch before hitting the books again!

Abby McMillan, Features Section Editor

When finals pass and the Spring Semester begins the excitement for summer encroaches and we start to lose the motivation to keep going. However, we have to dig deep into ourselves, especially seniors as such as myself, to maintain engagement when the end seems so close. Our methods of staying motivated are not all the same, so, from one sailor sister to another, I asked Marymount students what keeps them going throughout their second semester.

One of our current juniors, Brooke Firring, says that her planner is the key to maintaining good energy in the second semester. As a senior, one who’s been through it all, I can vouch for Brooke. Planners help you organize and set deadlines for yourself to keep you working hard. Additionally, Brooke Firring stated that keeping in mind how close summer is after spring break helps motivate her to keep working to the end. She said this makes the summer break even sweeter when it comes around!

Senior Retreat team enjoys a treat after a successful final retreat, motivating to keep strengthening those friendships!

Now, for our rising seniors. Paige MacDougall wanted to share some of the wisdom that has kept her motivated throughout this year, but even more importantly this second semester. “Working hard in your high school career will pay off in the college process, so work hard now for the benefits of the latter” (Paige MacDougall). Working hard does pay off, trust us, so don’t let the temptations of slacking off get to you! Although it is true that working hard now pays off later, Paige says that looking forward to the small moments throughout the spring keeps her working hard as well. She advises everyone to “Go to every sports game, party, and dinner with your friends. Just don’t get a D or your college acceptance will be rescinded”. Good advice, Paige!

My Personal advice, as a current senior myself, is to not let the stress of high school get to you. I know this is way easier said than done, but trust me you’ll thank yourself for doing so in the end. Cherish the time you have now. As a senior at Marymount, my time is coming to an end, and looking back on it, I wish I had saved myself from some of the late-night cram sessions and the bathroom tears to cherish what was right in front of me. By letting the stress of doing well on a test or an essay consume me, I blinded myself from moments I could have spent laughing and smiling around the courtyard table with my friends. So yes, staying organized and on top of your work will help keep you motivated through this semester as Brooke said, but also attending that sports game or that dance, and embracing the small moments while they last will make you work harder. Soon you will see the beauty of this experience we call high school as it’s almost done, and letting go of the stress will make it all the more enjoyable. Keep working, but don’t let your work consume you, enjoy it! You’ll regret letting the good times fly by without catching a glimpse, trust me.

Seniors enjoy a teamwork activity to keep motivating them to challenge themselves, even when blindfolded!