The Anchor

The Anchor

The Anchor

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Tasty Winter Treats to Make for Your Friends and Family

One of the best things about the Holiday season is indulging in baked goods and tasty drinks. Here are some delicious, festive recipes to get you in the holiday spirit and to enjoy with your family and friends!

Yummy white chocolate peppermint bark (Courtesy of David Malosh)

Peppermint bark

Ingredients

• 16 oz. white chocolate, chopped
  • 4 drops of food-grade peppermint oil
  • 3/4 c. crushed candy canes or peppermint candies

Directions

1: Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Put the white chocolate into a heatproof bowl. Set the bowl over a saucepan with a few inches of simmering water over low heat. Gently melt the white chocolate, stirring occasionally, until only a few lumps remain (about 3 minutes). Remove from the heat and stir until completely smooth. Stir in the peppermint oil. 

2: Pour the white chocolate onto the lined baking sheet and smooth it into an even layer with an offset spatula. Sprinkle with the crushed candy. Let set at room temperature or in the refrigerator, for 1 – 2 hours. 

3: Once the bark has completely hardened, break it into pieces. 

Candy Cane Cookies

Festive candy cane cookies (Courtesy of William Dickey)

Ingredients:

• 1 c. powdered sugar
  • 1 large egg, room temperature
  • 2 sticks salted butter, softened
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
  • 3 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 – 1 tsp. red food coloring
  • 3 candy canes, crushed, optional 

Directions

1: Put the softened butter and sugar in a large bowl. With a hand mixer or stand mixer with a paddle attachment on medium speed, beat until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes). Add the egg, vanilla, and peppermint extract and mix well. Then, add the flour 1 cup at a time, mixing on low to combine completely before each addition. 

2: Remove half of the dough from the bowl and form into a disc shape (about 1-inch thick). Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.

3: Place the red food coloring in the bowl with the remaining dough. Mix on low to incorporate the coloring into the dough fully (add more food coloring until you reach your desired shade of red). Remove the red dough from the bowl, knead it a few times to incorporate all of the coloring completely, and form into a disc shape (about 1 inch thick). Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. 

4: Preheat the oven to 375°F and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.

5: Unwrap both pieces of dough and pinch off 1/2-tablespoonful pieces of each color. With the palm of your hand, roll each dough ball on a clean surface into a 5-inch long rope. Place the ropes side by side and twist, pinching the tops and bottoms to stick together. Transfer to the sheet trays and form into a candy cane shape. Continue to roll, twist, and form all of the cookies. (If the dough starts to get too sticky, or difficult to roll without breaking, re-wrap it in plastic wrap and pop it back in the fridge for 15 minutes to firm up again).

6: Bake the cookies for 12 minutes, or until the white dough looks lightly golden. If decorating with crushed candy canes, sprinkle them as soon as they come out of the oven. Let cool completely on the baking sheets. 

Tasty peppermint brownies (Courtesy of David Malosh)

Peppermint Brownies

Ingredients

• 1 c. salted butter, plus more for the pan
  • 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
  • 1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tbsp. peppermint extract
  • 1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
  • Crushed candy canes or peppermints, for topping

Directions

1: Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. Line the pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on 2 sides; lightly butter the parchment. 

2: In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and bittersweet chocolate over medium-low heat, stirring, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. Let cool slightly, about 5 minutes.

3: Stir the sugar into the chocolate mixture until well combined. Stir in the eggs, one at a time, and mix until well combined. Stir in the peppermint extract. Add the flour and gently stir until completely combined. 

4: Pour the batter into the pan and spread evenly. Tap the pan on the counter to release any air bubbles. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes (do not overbake). Let cool until firm enough to easily lift from the pan using the parchment paper, about 25 minutes. Lift out of the pan and transfer to a rack to cool completely. 

5: Put the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at 50 percent power in 30-second intervals, stirring, until melted. Drizzle over the brownies and sprinkle with crushed candy. Let set before slicing. 

Delicious White Hot Chocolate (Courtesy of Brian Woodcock)

White Hot Chocolate

Ingredients

• 2 c. milk
  • 1 1/2 c. half-and-half 
  • 3/4 c. white chocolate chips, plus more for topping
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • Mini marshmallows, for topping

Directions

1: Heat the milk and half-and-half in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in ¾ cup of white chocolate chips until melted, then stir in the salt and vanilla. 

2: Pour into mugs and top with mini marshmallows and more white chocolate chips. 

Work Cited

Cavoto, Erin, and Kara Zauberman. “85 Best Christmas Desserts – Easy Holiday 

Dessert Recipes.” The Pioneer Woman, www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/meals-menus/g34150515/christmas- 

dessert-recipes/.