Its Knice to Knit: Marymount Knitting Club

Courtesy to WiseGEEK

Olivia Kiene '17, Staff Writer

Knitting is back in style and taking over our Marymount campus. As the weather begins to transition into a chilly California winter, why waste money on scarfs and hats when you can make one yourself? Don’t know how to knit? Don’t worry! Seniors Grace Rector and Izzy Cornwell brought their passion for knitting to Marymount and created the Knitting Club where everyone and anyone can knit no matter what their experience is. I was able to sit down with the founders of the Knitting Club and get to know what inspired them to start their journey into the world of knitting.

For Izzy and Grace, it began when they, “were sitting on [Grace’s] couch watching Doctor Who, knitting and drinking tea.” Realizing they both had a passion for all things knitting, they decided to start a club. They enjoyed how “knitting is relaxing” and they were able to create something new. Grace has been knitting since fourth grade when she used it as a substitute for eating snacks while watching TV. Izzy found knitting later in life and started by knitting a “lumpy” scarf that now represents her learning process since the scarf progressively started looking better as she learned how to be a better knitter. While Izzy’s first scarf meant a lot to her, Grace’s favorite thing she has knitted so far was a scarf she sent to Noor, a Marymount alum, “before she went to college in chilly London.” Both Izzy and Grace love how personal a handmade gift is and how it “shows someone how much you love them.”

The amount of time it takes to knit is one of the aspects of knitting both Grace and Izzy recognize can be daunting. They both agreed that the best advice they could give a beginning knitter would be “patience.” They both sympathized that beginning knitting can be “frustrating” but there have already been several Marymount success stories. Marymount senior Mirna Kamel began knitting in the beginning of the year and has now “become obsessed with the craft and made a huge scarf in one week.” Another new knitter is senior advisor Ms. Musich, who, although frustrated at first, is now an avid knitter. It’s never too late to learn something new! Knitting not only gives you a creative, relaxing, outlet, but it “allows one to pause and meditate on the simple rhythm of the stitch” creating something you are proud to wear and give to those you love. This holiday season, stop by the Knitting Club because once you learn, the possibilities are endless!