The Anchor

The Anchor

The Anchor

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

How to Set and Create a Sustainable New Year’s Resolution

New Years sparklers– a classic indication of renewal and warmth (courtesy of Pexels).

Most people plan to make huge changes in their lives starting on the first day of the new year. However, the majority of people do not follow through with their resolutions. This is mainly because they set huge unspecific and overwhelming goals. With that in mind, here’s how to create manageable and sustainable resolutions. 

Silver Balloons “2024” on a pink sparkly background. (courtesy of Good Keeping)

First, set small and specific goals. Say you want to be more fit and exercise more. To make this a specific goal, aim to try a new type of exercise each week. Plan your schedule ahead of time to ensure that you will have time to incorporate your new goal. It is imperative to start in small increments, such as once per week, to implement consistent change.

Next, work to keep yourself accountable for these goals. You can do this by getting an accountability buddy where you tell a friend, peer, or even classmate of your new goals. Announcing your plans publicly forces a person to spend more time completing their resolutions. Furthermore, when you receive in-person check-ins on your goals, it is more likely to facilitate a desire for progress. The S.M.A.R.T. goal method can also allow for planned and realistic goals.  S.M.A.R.T.  stands for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time-Bound. This method keeps your goals reachable and allows you to follow through in completing them. 

How to write S.M.A.R.T. goals. (courtesy of Renee Conoulty)

Inspirational New Year quote on a gold background. (courtesy of Good Keeping)

Remember that none of your goals will be transformed overnight and work must be put in to finish strong. It’s also ok to make a mistake but don’t let a small trip-up hinder your progress and stop you from continuing your goals. Allow yourself to feel good about the small accomplishments you make in the journey you choose to take. Finally, and most importantly, don’t compare your progress or goals to others. Everyone works at their own pace and no matter which goal(s) you choose to set, they are all equally important!