Marymount Internship Program Gives Students Valuable Experiences

Jillian Neuner '19, Marymount News Editor

The Marymount Internship Program has grown and evolved into a prominent and beneficial program within the last few years. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors are given the opportunity to involve themselves in a community of highly-educated professionals over the summer. An internship is obtained through a process of selection in which each applicant is interviewed. The interview serves as an opportunity for each student to voice her interests and abilities in different fields. Once a student is selected, she is assigned an internship in her preferred field, and she can then begin her 6-8 weeks of work. During these weeks, each student has many valuable opportunities to become familiar with a work environment as well as an increased sense of responsibility.

Many Marymount students developed a contemporary perspective of the workplace during their internships this summer. Hannah Robinson ‘17 and Yurika Boyd ‘17 interned this summer at Sprinkles Cupcakes and the UCLA Exercise Physiology Lab, respectively. Hannah explains that her internship gave her a newfound awareness of the economy and the flow of money through companies. She also came to understand that a successful career depends on hard work and willingness to “go the extra mile.” Yurika’s experiences also led her to determine that clear communication contributes to an efficient and successful work environment. After completing their internships in business and medicine, both Hannah and Yurika recognize their desire to pursue careers in those respective fields.

The Marymount Internship Program provides a student with opportunities to gain new skills, while also clarifying her interests and career path. Ultimately, internships prove to be invaluable, as they provide real-world experiences that will aid in one’s search for employment as well as their workforce skills.