Kingdom Fair 2018

Courtesy of varb.org.inc

Kendall Fisher '20, Staff Writer

It was a Wednesday morning in Pavilion when all of the sailors filtered into the room. Everyone was seemingly drained, due to what felt like an endless week of school, but soon grew ecstatic after seeing tables covered with sugary donuts, cookies, and candy galore. This could only mean one thing – it was time for Kingdom Fair. Kingdom Fair has been a long tradition here at Marymount, and each year it always seems to be better than the year before. During Kingdom fair, the juniors complete thirty hours of community service, write a report on their experience and share an awe-inspiring presentation with the rest of the student body.

Throughout the gym, there were countless billboards that the juniors had made. Some went beyond billboards, choosing to create beautiful slideshows or incredible videos that also showcased their projects. This was the year that the class of 2020 – the sophomores – had to begin seriously taking notes about what projects they could see themselves doing next year, while the freshmen would get a glimpse of what would be in their future.

Some people choose to go abroad over the summer for their service. There are a variety of programs such as Rustic Pathways, or Global Leadership Adventures that offer great opportunities in different countries. For example, junior India Bland completed the Life at the Bateyes program in the Dominican Republic. While there, she worked on a variety of service projects such as running a day camp for children, building homes, and planting a garden while also learning about a new culture and way of life.

If you are looking for a more local experience, junior Caroline Hawley went to RAD Camp and had an amazing time. What is it RAD Camp, you may ask? According to their website, it means “Rising above disabilities.” RAD Camp taught Caroline to “focus on people’s abilities rather than their disabilities” during her time there. Additionally, she worked as a counselor for an eighteen-year-old girl who had Cerebral Palsy. This particular experience taught Caroline how to be more patient and made her realize that there are more good people in the world than one might think. In society, people have a tendency to act uncomfortably while interacting with disabled people, and Caroline learned how very undeserved this stigma truly is.

Kingdom Fair is aptly named; there are so many different opportunities for serving your community both locally and far away. Sailors should totally look forward to their service project; it’s a great experience where not only the community benefits but you do as well.