Mission in Action Day

Courtesy of Sole Focus

Smriti Kaushik '20, Staff Writer

Mission in Action Day is the annual Marymount event where diverse religions and cultures are celebrated throughout various on-campus activities. It is a truly exciting learning experience, and this year exceeded everyone’s expectations. The day started bright and early with an extremely engaging thought talk, where the girls were separated by class and taught about a prominently questioned topic regarding race, ethnicity, religion, etc. Each thought talk was incredible, to say the least, and consisted of a presentation from students led by questions and activities done within the class. Following the thought talk, the entire school participated in mass, which honored people from all cultures and appreciated them. Soon after the reflecting period in mass, it was time for lunch! During lunch, a sense of anticipation filled campus as students excitedly waited for what was to come next. They were not left disappointed when a panel of Marymount girls from different religious backgrounds got to speak openly about their faiths. The panel consisted of myself, Mary Cooper, Isabella Kiene, Mariam Kamel, Kellen Carpenter, and Presley Best. Ms. Bostic gave us all questions to answer in front of the school, and we each discussed our faiths of Hinduism, Catholicism, Islam, and Judaism. It was a truly valuable learning moment for everyone involved. The panel was also a personal experience for me because this was the first time I talked about my religion of Hinduism in front of the school, and it left me feeling very confident about myself. After our student panel, I gave a presentation on the Hindu festival of Holi, also known as the Festival of Colors. It is a Hindu festival to celebrate good over evil and this year we decided to end Mission in Action Day by actually playing Holi. The excitement was visible on every students’ face as everyone flooded onto Senior Lawn. Together, we filled our hands with color and – on the count of three – threw it into the air. Senior Lawn was filled with a wide array of colors and in the midst of it all was the rhythmic beat of the Bollywood music bringing smiles to everyone’s faces. Overall, Mission in Action Day was a wonderful experience where everyone came together in unity and happiness, and I hope we can all experience this again next year.