Sailors Dominate at First MUN Conference of 2019

Sophia Scott '21, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

On Saturday, September 28th, 2019, forty-seven Marymount High School students from all grades competed at their first Model United Nations (MUN) conference of the school year. The SOCOMUN (South Orange County MUN) Conference took place the same week as the real United Nations General Assembly gathered in New York for its annual September meeting during which they discussed the most important issues facing the global community. This year, all world leaders of the UN member states decided to focus their attention on climate change and sustainable development efforts through their participation in a variety of summits and specialized meetings in order to consider the most practical and effective ways to take action against the global climate catastrophe. Sixteen-year-old climate change activist, Greta Thunberg, gave an inspiring speech to world leaders at the UN Climate Action Summit, empowering many Marymount girls to adopt the same passion and determination as they caucused at SOCOMUN.

At SOCOMUN, Marymount won fifteen individual awards! Since Marymount’s delegation contained forty-seven students, 32% received awards. All awards were given for performance, and no research awards are given at this conference. The quality of awards earned this year are significantly higher than in previous years with 2 Best Delegates (Gavels), 9 Outstandings, and 4 Commendations. Dr. Menard, the MUN faculty advisor, notes, “I’m not sure when was the last time we won a gavel (BD) at the Advanced level!”

Advanced Awards:

Sofia Goitiandia ’21 won Best Delegate for representing the Republic of Congo in the ECOSOC committee discussing Peacebuilding and Post Conflict Recovery.  Sophia Scott ’21 won an Outstanding for representing Cuba in the CCPCJ committee discussing Discrimination in Criminal Justice Systems. Isabelle Amster ’20 and Ali Mora ‘20 won an Outstanding for representing Bulgaria in the Security Council committee with an Open Agenda. Nadya Lattanzi ‘20 won an Outstanding for representing the Republic of Congo in the CSW committee discussing Ending Violence Against Women.

Non-Freshmen Novice Awards:

Simone Marijic-Buljubasic ’22 won an Outstanding for representing China on the topic of Cyberbullying. Lilah Navale ’22 won an Outstanding for representing Canada on the topic of Access to Education in Prisons. Nora Alwash ’22 won an Outstanding for representing China on the topic of Countering Violent Extremism. Jane Clements ’21 won Commendation for representing Canada in Countering Violent Extremism. Selina Deng ’22 won a Commendation for representing China in Trafficking and Child Soldiers. Bianca Kolim ’22 won a Commendation for representing China in Corruption in Sporting Events.

Aside from the climate debate at the real United Nations General Assembly meeting during the week of SOCOMUN, world leaders of the real UN also focused on achieving the UN Sustainable Development Goals. All of the freshmen Marymount delegates participated in SOCOMUN committees that mirrored the United Nations 17 Sustainable Development Goals, which were agreed upon in 2015 by all UN world leaders. 

Freshmen Novice Awards:

Lola Castorina ’22 won Best Delegate for representing Japan in Climate Action. Gabriella Abraham ’23 won an Outstanding for representing Japan in Gender Equality. Katherine Brauer ’23 won an Outstanding for representing Japan in Good Health and Well-Being. Kiana Shammaie ’23 won a Commendation for representing Japan in Zero Hunger.