The Anchor

The Anchor

The Anchor

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Authorities in Maui Reveal Hundreds are Missing Following the Devastating Lahaina Wildfire

In August of 2023, Lahaina, Maui was devastated by a raging wildfire. The Maui police released a list of 388 people missing, with at least 97 dead since the Lahaina wildfire began on August 8.

A wildfire burns in Kihei, Hawaii late Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2023; photograph from Alaska Public Media.

The primary fires left behind mass destruction in the historical town of Lahaina, Maui, with more than 2,700 structures lost in the fire. Maui County, suing Hawaiian Electric Company for negligence, says that “the fire started because of a fallen power line.” In response to this allegation, Hawaiian Electric Company released a statement, claiming that the complaint was “factually and legally irresponsible,” and they believed that West Maui had been de-energized for six plus hours before the second blaze started. 

People stand with signs waiting for the arrival of Joe Biden in Lahaina, Hawaii; photograph from TheGuardian.
An aerial image taken shows destroyed homes and buildings burned to the ground in Lahaina in the aftermath of wildfires in western Maui, Hawaii; photograph from InsideClimateNews.
(AFP via Getty Images)

Another factor in the formation of the fire was the mix of land and atmospheric conditions that can create “fire weather” such as Hurricane Dora, a category four storm near the south of the Hawaiian islands. This brought concerningly high winds when the fire broke out. Police are still looking for the 388 people who are still unaccounted for. Officials have extended their search to the sea in hopes of finding the missing people. 

View Comments (2)

Comments (2)

Comments are Closed.
All The Anchor Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest
  • M

MarciaOct 20, 2023 at 6:48 pm

So they’re saying hundreds still missing??

• J

Jaimie ChoiOct 21, 2023 at 3:13 pm

From the initial report, it said that hundreds are still missing but according to recent reports the number dropped down to 66 missing people.