The Anchor

The Anchor

The Anchor

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Feminist Consumers in China Push Back Against the ‘Pink Tax’

The ‘pink tax’ is the markup on goods or services advertised to women, while the same products marketed towards men are sold at a lower price. The term was popularized in the United States, but it has recently gained traction in China, where women are fighting this discrimination. 

Photograph of a shopping mall in Beijing

This issue was brought up during Singles Day, an unofficial Chinese holiday occurring on November 11, that celebrates those not in a relationship and also has a large shopping festival similar to the American Black Friday. During this shopping festival, the hashtag: #PinkTax gained traction on many Chinese social media platforms. Feminists in China use this hashtag to push back on societal standards they are forced to follow and document every time they encounter a pink tax.

Beyond just items marketed towards women, items that many women need are also subject to the pink tax. An example of this is menstrual products, which are subject to a 13% tax, the highest possible rate for most commercial goods. Feminists in China argue that this is unjust since they are essential to a healthy lifestyle. Something to note is how necessary these products are to feminine hygiene. Women with a lower economic status often resort to avoiding these products altogether, instead opting to use products that may negatively affect their health. This point was brought up by Nancy Quia, an economics professor at the Kellogg School of Managerial Economics and Decision Sciences at Northwestern University. 

Diagram of the ‘pink tax’

This specific issue has also been combated by a group called the ‘Pink Tax Resistance Alliance’ which has grown to over 30,000 members. Members of this group discuss on the website Douban, a Chinese online database and social networking site similar to Reddit. 

Intending to inform China’s future daughters of the ‘Pink Tax,’ Chinese feminists are fighting back strong, and in creative, futuristic ways.