The Anchor

The Anchor

The Anchor

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

“The Marvels” Has the Worst Opening Weekend in the History of the MCU

Picture of “The Marvels” from The Hollywood Reporter courtesy of Marvel

In 2008, Marvel filmed their first hit movie, Iron Man, which exceeded everyone’s expectations and made over $585 million worldwide, which set Marvel’s pathway to fame. The running franchise Marvel has filmed over thirty movies and series and is now ruining their fame, according to critics. When the movie The Marvels first came out, they believed it would make about 75 million dollars in the opening week. The Marvels made 45 million dollars and gained the name of the “worst debut” in Marvel history. 

Photo of Captain Marvel from “The Marvels” by the Everett Collection

There are many reasons as to why people think that the movie failed. According to Rotten Tomatoes, it has a ⅗ rating for stars, and the comments are all raving about how it is a heartfelt movie about friendship and family. This then leads to the question as to why it did so badly. The Marvels was made during the SAG strike, which made it impossible for the actors and people in general to post and spread the word about the movie. Everything was advertised very last minute due to respect for the strike. 24 hours after the strike ended, Brie Larson and the cast started going to the movie theaters and started advertising the movie, but it was too late. The most important reason everyone believes the movie didn’t do well was because of the most popular movie of the year, The Hunger Games, coming out. 

Overall, the movie The Marvels is supposed to get more viewers after the holidays, and after The Hunger Games, the audience is done watching it. During the holidays, it is important to watch movies full of love, the importance of family and friends, and most importantly, a movie with a little action, and The Marvels is a great option.