The Anchor

The Anchor

The Anchor

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Why the 2024 Total Solar Eclipse Will be Such a Big Deal

A picture of an eclipse via Oswego County Today

What is an eclipse? 

An eclipse occurs when one celestial body moves into the shadow cast by another. In a solar eclipse, the moon passes between the Earth and the sun, blocking sunlight and casting a shadow on the Earth. This overlap can result in partial or total darkness, known as totality, depending on the viewer’s location. In a lunar eclipse, the Earth moves between the sun and the moon, causing Earth’s shadow to fall on the moon, often giving it a reddish hue.

Eclipses are rare and captivating celestial events that have fascinated cultures throughout history. The 2017 Total Solar Eclipse: Dubbed the “Great American Eclipse,” it traversed the United States from coast to coast. The 1919 Solar Eclipse: Confirmed Einstein’s theory of general relativity by observing starlight bending near the sun. The 1969 Apollo 12 Lunar Module Solar Eclipse: astronauts observed Earth partially eclipsing the sun from the moon.

The 2024 eclipse

The 2024 Eclipse path via Prevent Blindness Georgia

On April 8, 2024, the moon will cast its shadow upon the Earth, creating a mesmerizing total solar eclipse. The 2024 eclipse presents researchers with a chance to study the sun’s outer atmosphere, known as the corona, in unprecedented detail. By observing the corona, scientists can gain insights into its composition, temperature, and dynamics of the sun which can advance our understanding of the sun and its influence on space weather. Let’s examine the special elements that will make the eclipse of 2024 a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

The path of totality refers to the narrow strip of land where the sun is completely obscured by the moon, plunging the area into darkness for a brief period. Only in these places can one see the eclipse to its full potential. Other places may see particle eclipse which is still beautiful. What makes the 2024 eclipse exceptional is the path it will trace across North America. Stretching from Mexico to Canada, this path will offer millions of people the opportunity to witness the awe-inspiring spectacle of totality. 

Total solar eclipses vary in duration, with some lasting only a few seconds while others persist for several minutes. The 2024 eclipse promises to be a generous one in terms of duration, with totality lasting up to four minutes and 28 seconds in certain locations. This extended period of darkness will provide ample time for observers to marvel at the celestial spectacle unfolding before their eyes, allowing for a deeper connection with the cosmos.

How can you view the eclipse?

A DIY Solar Eclipse Glasses via Classical Homemaking

To safely view a solar eclipse, never look directly at the sun without proper eye protection doing so may cause blindness, such as certified solar viewing glasses or solar filters for telescopes/binoculars. You can use a pinhole projector or eclipse glasses to indirectly observe the eclipse’s progression. During a lunar eclipse, no eye protection is needed to view the event. Enjoy the eclipse by finding a safe viewing location with an unobstructed view of the sky.