Valuing Women’s Education

Christina Fazio '18, Staff Writer

65 million: the number of girls who are not educated globally. We, Marymount students, are blessed to be receiving our current education. We as women have traveled a long way in history in order to have not only the right to receive an education, but the right to vote as well. Despite the immense progress in the societal expectations for women, still, many aren’t receiving education, which results in a lack of respect in societal perceptions of women’s purposes.

Even women who are educated don’t get treated equally: unequal pay being a one example. It then becomes evident that just because women have received the right to be educated in many regions of the world, this cannot be the end of the movement. The new generation must work to receive equality in all areas of our daily lives because if we simply accept unequal pay for the same job, we will never get further in the education movement.

Not only is it unfair that today women around the world are refused education, it is undeniably unacceptable. Women our age wish more than anything to receive any type of education but live in fear because of their culture’s perception of what and how a woman should act. It is not enough to have educational rights in some parts of the world, we need to be able to look at our current world and be satisfied with the contributions we have made.

Although we value our education and our parents value our education as well, many aren’t as fortunate. The fact is that educating women is in everyone’s favor because it is a given fact that educated women can save millions of lives; additionally, educated women are less likely to have children at a young age and be married at a young age. Overall, we as women have a duty to further the education movement.