Election of Division 2016

Grace Rector '17, Staff Writer

“Each man is an island unto himself. But though a sea of difference may divide us, an entire world of commonality lies beneath.”

James Rozoff

At approximately ten o’clock p.m. on November 8, 2016, Donald Trump was titled the President Elect of the United States of America. Some jumped off of their couches in joy and celebration that their presidential choice succeeded, while others buried their angry faces in their palms, crying with discontent. In no election can every American be happy because no man nor woman supports every issue that is evident in the United States of America. This election is history, regardless of its results. It will forever change the future of every life in America, but it is up to the people to support their country and not blindly follow whoever is in power. No matter who the president is – white, black, rich, or poor – their job is to serve the people; thus, we need to respectfully express our beliefs.

Millions declare that, “Trump is not my president,” which will not progress our society any further nor bring us unity. Although the popular majority of America is upset, we must embrace our government to ensure that we, the people, are in control. For those who declare that Hillary is a crook, negativity will not bring us progress either. During such a divisive time, we are obligated to realize that we share commonalities with all people, even enemies; however, we must allow these commonalities to unite and strengthen the population of America.

To recognize the diversity in emotions to this historic event, here are some responses from Marymount girls of all grade levels left anonymously:

“It’s definitely quite a surprise to many, especially here in California. I’m no exception; although I hoped this election would’ve turned out differently, I give my trust to our new president and pray he uses his new power for good.”

“I wanted to throw up. I thought I was dreaming and seriously could not believe that this was my reality for the next 4 years.”

“I couldn’t vote, but [Trump] stands for change, and I hope he brings it.”

“I was shocked, appalled, and terrified, but also I was hopeful that the president elect would not follow through on his campaign promises and will make our country better or at least not worse than it is now.”

“I felt scared and kind of disappointed that we couldn’t break the glass ceiling.”

“I couldn’t believe he had won, and at the same time I was scared about how this man would change my life and the lives of others for the next 4 years.”

“Now, [Trump] has to get to work to fix the country–all people in this country.”

“Yes, I was disappointed, but more than anything I was surprised; I was certain that Hilary was going to win and when I checked the polls at 10:30 pm, I was the most shocked I have ever been.”

“I thought it was a nightmare, but I never woke up.”

“I was disappointed, and upset that so many Americans voted for a candidate that wants to limit the freedoms that our country was founded on.”

“I didn’t expect it, but now is the time for us to all come together and see each other instead of statistics. No more us versus them.”

“What are we going to do?   How is the U.S. going to [maintain an] upward climb to[wards] equality with this man as president?  Will all that we have worked so hard for the last 100 years be lost in 4 because of this man?  How can I help protect others from the mayhem this man might bring?”