Letter From the Editor

Arianna Garcia ‘20, Editor-in-Chief

On Wednesday, March 11th, the class of 2020 had their last day of high school without even knowing it. Girls raced toward the parking lot, excited at the prospect of a four-day weekend. In their haste, many sailors – myself included – failed to say goodbye to their fellow classmates, teachers, and friends. 

Arianna’s senior portrait, courtesy of Arianna Garcia ’20

Looking back on that fateful day, I wish I had lingered in senior courtyard a little longer. I wish I had hugged each of my friends tightly, and thanked my teachers for everything they had done for me. Simply put, I wish I hadn’t taken my time at Marymount for granted.  

Over these past few months, I have had a lot of time to reflect on my Marymount experience. Metaphorically speaking, my class and I have spent four years together onboard the same ship. Our journey has certainly been a bit tempestuous, especially with the unexpected storm we’ve been weathering over these past few months. As virtual learning became our new reality overnight, senior traditions that we had been looking forward to for years – prom, chalk day, our last day of school countdown, graduation –  were left hanging in the balance. Despite the severity of this storm, our Marymount education prepared us to persist. While we may not have had the senior year we originally imagined, we are undoubtedly survivors

This brings me to what is arguably the most valuable lesson that Marymount has taught me…

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor. This sentiment has stuck with me ever since I docked at Marymount four short years ago. Freshman year, when I first arrived on campus in my oversized white polo and my iconic heather gray skort (you know the one), I had no idea what to expect. The locals seemed scary, and these foreign shores were completely unfamiliar to me. What the heck was a Cantwell? Was I allowed to step foot on Senior Lawn? Despite my initial qualms, I quickly began to develop my sea legs. I engaged in conversations my fellow classmates as we waited for our paninis to cook, decided to go out on a limb and write for The Anchor, and finally managed to break in my penny loafers. As my first semester as a sailor came to a close, I could confidently say that this campus became my second home. 

Four years and one DRC later, it is time for me to lose sight of the shore so that I may discover new oceans. 

Our community has recently experienced what it has been like to be ripped away from Marymount’s safe harbor, unsure of what the next day would bring. At first, this sense of uncertainty felt scary! Looking back, however, I realize that I have been equipped with all of the tools I will need for my journey. Simply put, I know that no matter where I go, I can be safe in the knowledge that I will always be anchored in Marymount.

Class of 2020, It is hard to believe that we are now preparing to set sail into the real world, outside the familiar safety net of Marymount. Sailors, I encourage you to go where the waves take you. Assemble a worthy crew of individuals with shared values and you will be okay. The world is a vast ocean with infinite possibilities for exploration and discovery. I sincerely hope that, someday, the tides will bring us together again, but at least for this brief moment in time, let us look back on these past few years and smile. It has certainly been a wonderful journey. 

At the risk of going a little overboard, I will conclude with this:

Sailor sisters, be bold. Chart a new course. Confidently ride each new wave that comes your way. After all, what we do in life echoes in eternity