The Anchor

The Anchor

The Anchor

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The Phenomenon of Binge-watching

“Beyond satisfying basic needs, binge-watching TV is now part of the pop culture ethos,” says Jennifer Holt, an associate professor in the UCLA Department of Film & Media Studies. (Photo courtesy of Practical Business Solutions)

You get home from school on a Friday and have no plans for the rest of the weekend. What better way to relax than indulging in a binge-watching session of your favorite TV show?

For many of us, binge-watching entails lounging in bed past midnight, and watching an entire season or two of the latest television series. This trend has gained even more traction in recent years from the effects of the COVID quarantine era and entertainment platforms evolving to offer a richer and more inclusive experience for their audience. Therefore, binge-watching has become a predominant form of entertainment, reshaping the way we consume and engage with television content. Although it is commonly labeled as a guilty pleasure because of the supposed extremity of the practice, the gratification that comes from the practice suggests its legitimacy as a valid form of entertainment. 

Simon Basset, played by Regé-Jean Page, and Daphne Bridgerton, played by Daphne Bridgerton, in the Netflix original, Bridgerton, one of the most binge-watched shows on the platform. (Photo courtesy of Liam Daniel, Netflix)

The allure of binge-watching lies in its ability to offer a continuous, undisrupted narrative of a series. Viewers can seamlessly follow the storyline and therefore, maintain a consistent, real-time connection and whatever else with the characters and plot events. Even top streaming services like Netflix have contributed to the trend, as Netflix original shows release the episodes of each season all at once, enabling audiences to fully immerse themselves in a show without the constraints of weekly releases. As a result, binge-watching has become an inviting journey, allowing enthusiasts to create a personalized entertainment experience for themselves by delving into the depths of intricate storylines without interruptions.

According to a survey conducted by CivicScience, 63% of the general population binge-watches at some level, as of April 2020. (Photo courtesy of CivicScience)

In addition, binge-watching goes beyond being merely a solitary activity. Rather, it has become quite a social phenomenon, with friends and family bonding through their shared interests in binge-watching a particular show. Therefore, binge-watching can also enhance the enjoyment of television content, but also serves as a mechanism for social interaction.

Ultimately, whether or not we agree binge-watching is either a guilty pleasure or a legitimate form of entertainment, binge-watching remains a prominent chapter in the ongoing evolution of our entertainment habits. I guarantee that this winter break will prove exactly so.