Sailor in Service: Spotlight on Miranda Moon

Miranda coaching members of the California Condors hockey team!

Courtesy of Jillian Neuner ‘19, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Miranda coaching members of the California Condors hockey team! Courtesy of Jillian Neuner ‘19, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Jillian Neuner ‘19, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Junior Miranda Moon proceeds to astonish Marymount with her creative service ideas and passionate involvement in and outside of school. Being a member of the service board, coach at California Condors, and co-founder of ABC Blankets, Miranda truly channels her passions and interests into generous service opportunities.

Since seventh grade, Miranda has volunteered at California Condors, an ice hockey team of children and adults with varying physical and mental handicaps. While volunteering, Miranda “help[s] teach new players how to skate and shoot the puck, along with leading practices.” Not only does Miranda get to play one of her favorite sports, but she also has the privilege of helping instill a love for it in others.

This past April, Miranda co-founded her non-profit organization, ABC Blankets. By sending handmade blankets to children with cancer or other illnesses, she helps give back to those who suffer. Her organization is off to a strong start and has already produced and sent out twenty blankets!

By the same token, last year, Miranda decided to further engage in service by joining Marymount’s Service Board. She is grateful for the opportunity to “connect to a larger community and understand the different struggles people might face.” As a member of the Service Board, Miranda is able to assist students in finding service opportunities in areas they are passionate about or would like to explore. Miranda’s drive behind her involvement and service rests on her sincere belief that “whether it is coaching a hockey team or volunteering at a local non-profit organization, there is always a way for everyone to give back.” Miranda’s steadfast devotion to volunteering makes her an active member of the Marymount community and indeed an excellent example to follow! Keep up the great work, Miranda!

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Sailor in Service: Spotlight on Miranda Moon”

1. Amie Kosberg on October 17th, 2017 5:32 am

What could be more MARYMOUNT than one wonderfully gifted student singing the praises of another wonderfully gifted student! Estoy tan impresionada con las dos!

[Reply]

2. Mrs. Bostic on October 17th, 2017 11:52 am

Miranda you are an inspiration! What a great story!

[Reply]

• Sailor in Service: Spotlight on Miranda Moon

Features

Learning Differences

Features

The Hidden Food Gems of Los Angeles

Features

So You’ve Got Your Magazine: What Next?

Features

Educating Oneself on Celiac Disease

Features

A Hero During A Dark Time: An Interview With A D-Day Pilot

Features

Confronting the Stigmas of Mental Health

Features

Bittersweet Beginnings

Features

The Hidden Gems of Los Angeles

Features

How to Navigate LA Without a Car

Features

HOMLA Holiday