How to Participate in Lent

Courtesy of www.starlocalmedia.com

Courtesy of www.starlocalmedia.com

Courtesy of www.starlocalmedia.com

Can you believe it? Lent is already here and Easter is approaching. Lent is a wonderful time to step back and think about your life. It gives us the opportunity to prepare ourselves for the coming of Jesus into our hearts. Here are ten ways to get ready for Easter during this Lenten season.

1. Give Back to Your Community.

Look around! There are so many ways you can help out. Is there a local charity you would like to support? Maybe visit A Place Called Home, where you can socialize with amazing kids. If you live in Venice, you can visit Bread and Roses Cafe, where you can serve homeless people warm meals. Or, go through your closet and donate your old clothes to a local shelter! Many great organizations such as GoodWill, or the Battered Women’s Shelter are grateful to receive clothing donations.

2. Think About Giving Up Something.

How much time do you spend on social media today? Did you really need that extra cup of coffee? Ask yourselves these questions to differentiate your wants and needs. Try giving up something that you spend a lot of time doing. This will help you realize your spiritual needs are greater than your physical needs. It might actually improve your well-being and you might like your lifestyle better without the item you gave up.

3. Compliment People.

What if something you said changed the direction of someone’s day? Remain present in the moment and observe what you see. Just telling someone you like their shoes can bring a positive light to their day. If you thought somebody’s joke was funny, let them know! Sometimes you don’t see it, but there is nothing like a heartfelt compliment to start your day on the right track.

4. Donate that Extra Cash.

Have some leftover lunch money? Found some pennies in your pocket? Stop by in any of the Religious Studies’ classroom and drop off any loose change for a charity. Research charities that interest you. Check out the Free Rice website, for instance. For every trivia question that you get correct, ten grains of rice are put toward ending world hunger. Don’t forget, anything helps.

5. Reach Out to People You Haven’t Talked to in a While.

One text or phone call can make a person’s day. Who haven’t you communicated with in a while? Somebody may miss you just as much as you miss them. A quick chat can leave you and your friend with a closer relationship.

6. Unplug Yourself.

Maybe once a week, pick a day to unwind and reflect. Contemplate your favorite things about the week and how you can improve the way you acted in certain situations. Take a break from your phone, computer or T.V. Have a meaningful conversation with your family.

7. Try going to Church more often!

Church is such a wonderful outlet to relax and feel refreshed. Attending Mass can be very rejuvenating and relaxing. Grasping God’s words can be a powerful and enjoyable experience. Try going once or twice- you may end up loving the services and returning every Sunday!

8. Reach Out to New People.

Starting new relationships can result in lasting friendships. A new friend could be exactly what you need, despite what you may think. Meeting new people and seeing life from different perspectives is extremely valuable.

9. Take Some Friends out to Dinner.

Take some of your closest buddies and go to a local restaurant on Friday. Abstaining from meat on Fridays is a Catholic tradition. But, here in L.A, we have access to tons of great sushi restaurants and salad joints.

10. Pray!

Honestly, this sounds really simple but it can make a big impact. Simple prayers and communication with God can enhance your relationship with Him. Thank God for your meal or for a friend who was there for you when you needed it. Showing thanks is a great way to remain positive.

We hope this was a useful guide to help you anticipate Easter in the best way possible! Enjoy the Lenten season and all it has to offer you!