A Peek at Marymount’s Soccer Season

Courtesy of Stephanie Sowa '21

Courtesy of Stephanie Sowa '21

Courtesy of Stephanie Sowa '21

Stephanie Sowa '21, Staff Writer

As the winter season quickly approaches, the Marymount soccer team is practicing rigorously, and our girls are preparing for their games. Marymount’s talented Sailors are putting all their effort into the drills their extraordinary coaches put together and remain anxious to face their next opponents. The games they have played so far have been well-fought battles and remarkably delightful to watch. Our Junior Varsity team is playing tough teams like Santa Monica High School and Saugus High School, and they’re playing their absolute best in each game. It is fantastic to see students cheering for their friends on the sidelines as they score goals for Marymount. Our Varsity team is playing tremendously well, and they are celebrating a recent win against Marlborough, 4-2. All the players are talented and hardworking. We interviewed a few of the many phenomenal players and got the inside scoop.

Alex Fidanovski is a wonderful soccer player on the Junior Varsity soccer team. She is over-the-top excited for the season. Her tryout experience was quite intimidating, but Alex told us her fear was overpowered by her enthusiasm and the fun she was having while playing soccer. As Alex is an offensive player, her goal for the season is to execute many goals as well as to win league with her teammates. She tells us her team is determined to play their best and win as many games as they can. Alex says the soccer team is also so much fun due to the hard work and effort her exceptional coaches contribute. She describes them as “amazing, understanding, and truly amusing.” We are so excited to continue to watch you score for Marymount, Alex!

One of Marymount’s many stars, Maggie Kornfiend, an outstanding Varsity soccer player, shared with us her experience with her soccer season so far. She is beyond excited for the season, and her goal for her team is to win state. Maggie described her tryout experience as overall fun, yet very tiring. She describes her hardworking coaches as “very Italian” and super intense as well as knowledgeable. She loves any shooting or offensive drills and works hard during every single one. When we were talking to Maggie, she said her personal goal was, “to play a quicker pace of the game.” Maggie is determined to make her soccer experience a memorable one and we are looking forward to watching her compete!

Our Sailor soccer players are hungry for wins and are striving to play their best. All the players are excited to see what the rest of 2017-2018 soccer season holds!